Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Optane disable operation did not finish, now windows can't boot, macrium can't restore

SCiav
Novice

Hi there,

I have been updating all components of my NUC 7i7BNH build, for general troubleshooting.

I read here, that in order to update firmware on Optane modules, you must first disable system acceleration

https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000017245/memory-and-storage.html https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000017245/memory-and-storage.html

I opened the intel optane memory application and chose to disable system acelleration.

The process went through steps 1 2 and 3, and now has looped back to 'step 1 of 3: preparing system'

The circle animation continues to turn, and my system is still fully functional, but the disable process appears to be making no more progress.

It has remained like this for at least half an hour now.

steps 1 2 and 3 all completed within only a few minutes I believe.

I don't know if I'm just impatient or if something is not working correctly

I've checked a few threads here, and am worried I could end up with a serious problem if I choose to restart my system whilst this disable process is apparently still running.

I feel my options are:

1. Wait it out
  2. restart the system, come what may
  3. attempt to go ahead with optane firmware update via ssd toolbox, regardless of Intel Optane Memory program's status

Any guidance at all would be appreciated

Thanks So Much,

Sam

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SCiav
Novice

oh, option 4

4. Terminate the Intel Optane Memory application via task manager

Anyway, thanks so much in advance

Sam

0 Kudos
SCiav
Novice

5 hours later

still the same

then

BSOD with 'kernel security check failure'

Now

Windows cannot boot

Windows automatic repair can't find the solution

macrium reflect restore environment cannot see my drive to restore to.

the only option to restore to is shown below along with a warning about disk geometry

so now im unable to restore my backup

will start scouring these forums again, but any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

sam

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Samciavarella,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information:

• Your Hardware configuration and the complete model of your NUC ( the model of your NUC can be found on the bottom plate of your NUC).
  • Had you tried to disable the Optane acceleration from your BIOS?
If you are able to access your OS again, please, provide us with the following information:

• A screenshot of the "Disk Management" of windows showing all your HDDs and partitions.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Samciavarella,

Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support.

This email is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open.

Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Samciavarella,

Thank you for having contacted Intel support.

Since you have not posted any updates on your community thread, the thread will be marked as assumed answered.

You can still post any updates at any time and we will continue helping you in any way we can.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos