Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

Intel Matrix Storage Manager / Rapid Storage Technology stable driver for ICH7 82801G in Windows 7

JProf1
Beginner

Hi,

Each time I create a new System Restore point, after some seconds I can close the dialog notification of the new restore point created, but in this moment System Protection Panel keeps locked during 30-120 seconds because explorer.exe is strangely busy with 50% cpu use. During this 30-120 seconds If I go to My PC, the C: device looks like this:

37GB free of 1,81TB

150GB free of 1,81TB

586GB free of 1,81TB

1,60GB free of 1,81TB

54GB free of 1,81TB

139GB free of 1,81TB

After this 30-120 seconds trying to calculate the free device space, finally it shows correctly:

1,67GB free of 1.81TB

This also happen when Windows Update or some program creates a System Restore point.

I have 1,81TB MBR Windows 7 x64 SP1 partition with all updates newly installed, including KB982018 with an Intel ICH7 chipset 82801G.

This only happens with the advanced format 4Kb disks with 512e feature. If I use another 512 bytes/sector older native disk, System Restore Works properly and faster without any issues.

In default Windows 7 SP1 installation I have this Intel Matrix Storage Manager controller:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\iaStorV.sys (v8.6.2.1014)

I have tried looking for this driver on the Intel web but I only found v8.9.0.1023 and I can't install it in chipset ICH7 82801G because it shows "System doesn't meet minimum requirements" message.

How can I install or configurate this driver for ICH7 82801G chipset in order to work properly in Windows 7 to support advanced format disk 512e without this delay problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello J.Tech

Thank you for posting in the Intel® community.

The Intel® chipset Intel® 82801, Products formerly ICH7, (Intel® E7000 Series Chipsets or Intel® 940 Series Chipsets) has support up to Intel® Matrix Storage Manager version 8.9.0.1023 with Windows® 7 in AHCI mode (the SATA mode has to be in BIOS configuration for that in we recommend contacting the Motherboard manufacturer), testing the system with the latest Intel® matrix storage technology might not eliminate the delay that you are facing.

I have sent you a private message with more case information; please see your private inbox.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

JProf1
Beginner

Thanks a lot for your help Leonardo,

But Intel® Matrix Storage Manager v8.9.0.1023 installer doesn't let me install it because "System doesn't meet minimum requirements". And in motherboard Bios I can select in Storage configuration: SATA mode (default) or PATA mode or both modes, but I can't find any option to select AHCI or RAID mode in this motherboard.

Edit: Finally I found a solution!

In my case, this issue can't be fixed with all updates installed from Windows Update, but as I checked it has been solved after installing KB3125574 (convenience rollup) for Windows 7 SP1.

In fact, after installing this Microsoft patch, I noticed that iaStorV.sys controller changed.

idata
Employee

Hello J.Tech

Thank you for the information.

In this case for inquiries about Intel Matrix Storage Manager in your system configuration being a third party motherboard has to be reported with Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), also for assistance with the hardware, operating system support/ compatibility.

Please bear in mind that this software is provided by Intel only for the convenience of its customers. this software is provided "as is" with no warranties whatsoever, including any warranty of merchantability, non-infringement, fitness for any particular purpose, or any warranty otherwise arising out of any proposal, specification or sample.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos