Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

i7 6700K voltage issue

BBai
Beginner

So my PC will enter a BSOD loop if I try to boot with the stock motherboard settings. It looks like the CPU isn't receiving enough voltages if you have a look at the screenshot below. Manually setting the VCore to 1.35V allows the system to boot into Windows. However, running a stress test shows that the CPU isn't receiving nearly enough voltage. The motherboard has been updated to the latest BIOS. As you can see in the photo below, each core is only receiving 0.547V which causes the CPU frequency to only reach 1.62GHz. Is my CPU faulty?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello bchn:

In regard to your inquiry, based on that information it is hard to tell for sure if the problem is related to the processor, it could also be related to motherboard or even memory RAM.

The processor should work just fine under stock settings, so please keep using the PC that way, since altering the voltage on the processor is not recommended and it could damage the equipment.

What is the model of the memory RAM that you are using, do you see a part number on it that we can check?

How many memory sticks are you using and what is the size of each?

What is the model of the motherboard?

Did it work fine before or this problem happens since day one?

How much wattage on the power supply?

Are you using a video card?

Do you have the option to test the board with a different processor?

Do you have the option to test the processor on a different board?

Which Windows version are you using?

Please let us know that information in order to better assist you.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
BBai
Beginner

Hi Alberto.

Actually the PC doesn't work with stock settings and will only work if I increase the voltage.

What is the model of the memory RAM that you are using, do you see a part number on it that we can check?

Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 - I've tested each stick individually as well as switching the slots.

How many memory sticks are you using and what is the size of each?

2x8GB.

What is the model of the motherboard?

Asus Z170I Pro Gaming.

Did it work fine before or this problem happens since day one?

Since day one.

How much wattage on the power supply?

750W.

Are you using a video card?

Yes - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1.

Do you have the option to test the board with a different processor?

Amazon is sending me a replacement, so I can test it once that arrives.

Do you have the option to test the processor on a different board?

Unfortunately, no.

Which Windows version are you using?

Windows 10 Pro.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bchn:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Yes, at this point to swap parts will be the next thing to do in order to find out if the problem is the board processor or memory RAM.

Since you already test the memory RAM individually on all the memory slots and the problem remains then it does not seemed to be related to the memory and according to the specifications of it it is fully compatible.

The power supply is pretty good actually.

For testing purposes, did you try to test the PC without the video card and using the onboard graphics just to check if the problem persists?

So, take your time and once you get the new processor test it and please let us know the results so we can further assist you.

Alberto

0 Kudos
BBai
Beginner

Ok so I got the new CPU in and the issue still persists. I tried a new PSU - still crashes. I tried booting Ubuntu off a USB - still crashes.

Can I assume the issue is with the motherboard? Thanks.

0 Kudos
BBai
Beginner

Ok, so I went out on a limb and bought a replacement motherboard and what do you know, it works. Who would have thought. Anyway, thanks for the help Alberto.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bchn:

You are welcome, perfect, it is great to hear that the PC is working fine now, and yes, when the problem is associated to voltage most of the times it is related to the processor but like in this case the board might be also the reason for this problem to happen and for the PC no to boot.

Great news is working now.

Alberto

0 Kudos