Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

BFME2 Graphics Question

idata
Employee

I am attempting to play battle for middle earth 2 on my Asus laptop. whenever the game starts, it crashes after the screen starts to switch: "Windows has encountered a problem and has to shutdown". I have tried many fixes (including a ini file fix), but with no luck.

I have researched the issue and it appears that the problem is my Intel graphics driver. Apparently the newer versions of intel drivers don't work well with the game.

I have attempted to install a older version of the graphics that would work with the game. But it just says the computer doesn't meet the requirements. I have tried installing it in compatibility mode, but that doesn't work, gives the same message.

Is there a way I can make my graphics compatible with this game? Any help would really be appreciated. My computer specs are below:

ASUS X555LAB

IntelCore i5-5200U 2.2GHz

8GB RAM

64bit OS

Intel HD Graphics 5500

Windows 10

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Looks like the same issue mentioned at

and

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kerkuil,

Let's try addressing this crash issue with the following suggestion;

Uninstall the current driver version installed
  1. Open the Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel Graphics Driver.
  4. Right click Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.
  7. Install this driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=86210 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40], use this method for the installation http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows... .

Let me know how that goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/109266 Kerkuil, were you able to follow the suggestion mentioned above? Does the issue persist?

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So I followed the directions you gave Amy. Unfortunately my computer automatically re updates to the newest version of Intel installed with the computer. So I can only get so far before it reinstalls what I uninstalled.

I had tried several different versions of graphics drivers with no luck. Is there a way to disable the auto update on the graphics driver?

I really appreciate all the help!

PS I looked at the similar questions you linked me to Stefan. Appreciate it. So far what they tried doesn't work for me, but I'll keep looking

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Try these steps; https://www.cnet.com/how-to/stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-your-pc/ Stop Windows 10 from automatically updating your PC - CNET. Once it's disabled try one more time the suggestion mentioned above.

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So I tried the above steps to the auto download and it still auto downloaded. So instead I didn't connect to internet and that stopped the download. But when I followed the steps to install the new driver it told me that the Microsoft basic driver (that is the backup) was the best driver and wouldn't be replaced by the new one (at least there was no option to). Even when I disabled the basic one it gave me the same result.

I tried installing the driver just directly (instead of going through the device manager) but it gave me this error: "this installation package is not supported by this processor type".

So I know, I sound hopeless. I just can't get the computer to let me install a new driver. Thanks again for the help. I'll keep trying it. See if I did something wrong

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have sent you a PM.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/109266 Kerkuil, did you get my PM?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes I did. I will make a time to do that. Thanks again

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, you're welcome.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos