Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

HD Graphics 530 No Screen Rotation Hotkey

ide
Novice

Hello,

I have a small issue with my laptop, XPS 15 9550 (Core i7 6700 HQ with Intel HD Graphics 530) in which the screen orientation hotkey is not available in Intel HD Graphics panel (see attachment).

I am able to rotate it via Display Settings -> Orientation -> change it to either landscape or portrait. But I'm used to with the orientation hotkey (Ctrl + Alt + Arrow Up or Ctrl + Alt + Arrow Left) to rotate it from landscape to portrait and vice versa.

I use the latest official driver from intel 21.20.16.4542 and actually when I tried to install this driver it said it was not validated for this computer. So DELL is restricting its user to use Intel generic driver, and I don't want to use their driver (20.19.15.4483) because I have an issue with one of my application if I use that driver.

So, what can I do to be able to get the hotkey functionality again?

Another note, right click from desktop only shows Intel Graphics Settings. Intel Graphics Options is not there (see attachment) which has an option to rotate also from there.

Let me know if you need more data and thanks!

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

see above

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Intel Core i7-6700HQ - Intel HD Graphics 530

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

XXXWH...

28 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello iede,

The best support for you is your system manufacturer, as this is could be a limitation from Dell.

However, you can try the following to install the generic Intel® driver, please bear in mind that if you are able to install the generic driver I cannot guarantee that the issue can be resolved because this can be limited by your computer manufacturer.

First uninstall the graphics driver that you have installed, please see http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver and Intel® Display HDMI/Audio Driver

Once the driver is uninstalled, install the generic driver manually, http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows 8*/8.1*

You can download the latest graphics driver here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26404/Intel-Graphics-Driver-15-45-?product=88345 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26404/Intel-Graphics-Driver-15-45-?product=88345

I hope that can help.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
ide
Novice

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the reply. I've tried several things :

• Try Windows Update from Windows 10, it will automatically download driver with version 21.20.16.4534 and install it => Screen Rotation Hotkey is NOT available

Then my understanding is any version with 21.xx.yy.zzzz doesn't have Screen Rotation Hotkey. Can you confirm that? If yes, can Intel fix it in next update?

For now I'm using version 20.19.15.4501

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This version has the Screen Rotation Hotkey, I'm 100% sure that this is just a limitation from your system manufacturer with certain drivers, you will need to consult this information with them, your system manufacturer can disable features with the drivers and this is out of our support.

Ivan.

0 Kudos
ide
Novice

Could you please share a screenshot of Intel HD Graphics Control Panel for Intel HD 530 with driver version 21.20.16.4542 which has the screen rotation hotkey? I just want to make sure that it's a limitation from Dell and not from Intel because if it's really a limitation from Dell, why the Intel generic driver version 20.19.15.4501 has the screen rotation hotkey?

This picture is Intel generic driver version 20.19.15.4501 and has the "Graphics Options" in right-click context menu. But latest Intel generic doesn't have it (refer to my first post). It seems illogical for me that only the latest version is restricted by Dell, even though both drivers are newer than Dell's driver.
0 Kudos
ide
Novice

Could anyone who has Intel HD Graphics 530 with driver version 21.20.16.4542 help to confirm?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm from Intel and I can confirm this, but as I have mentioned above, if you don't get this option with your system is because it has been limited by your system manufacturer.

Please bear in mind that Intel sells products to various OEM's (Original Equipment Manufacturers), who then integrate them, with other system components (power supplies, disk drives, add in cards, software, etc). These products may be customized to the OEM's specifications.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
ide
Novice

Thanks for your screenshot confirmation, but as I can see it is the old driver :

• 10.18.15.4279 (15.40.7.4279)
  • Windows 10 10.0.10586 (November Update / TH2)

I can confirm to you that the old driver before 21.20.16.4542 (15.45.10.4542) will have the screen rotation.

What I want you to screenshot is Intel HD Graphics 530 with :

• Latest Driver 21.20.16.4542 (15.45.10.4542)
  • With Windows 10 10.0.14393 (Anniversary Update / RS1)

Instead you gave me a screenshot of the old driver which is obviously has the screen rotation hotkey.

0 Kudos
ide
Novice

No reply?

I got a confirmation from other forum that someone with Intel HD Graphics 520 with driver version 21.20.16.4542 (15.45.10.4542) doesn't have the screen rotation hotkey too. So this is indeed a missing feature from Intel. Please make that functionality available again in next driver version.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Being that the case, let's wait for a new driver to come up and see if that option is available.

I installed the latest graphics version 15.20.16.4542 and I can see that the hotkey is not available.

Thanks for the information, we really appreciate your feedback.

Best wishes,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

After searching for this information, with the new 15.45 drivers we have a new version of Intel Graphics Control Panel that removed certain features/options that already exists on Windows 10, thus eliminating redundancy. Examples are: screen orientation, gamma calibration, etc.

We are actively looking for user's feedback, but currently the option is not available with 15.45.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
ide
Novice

Hi Ivan,

I know that screen orientation is available in Windows 10 Settings -> System -> Display. But it lacks of hotkey to do that which is the feature that I use in my laptop. In case for 2 in 1 laptop, it has built in accelerometer to define the orientation of the screen automatically. But in laptop that doesn't have it, it is too slow to change orientation from Windows settings. Because in my opinion, pressing Ctrl + Alt + Left Arrow is much faster than go to Settings -> System -> Display -> Orientation -> Landscape.

What I need is just a hotkey, the screen orientation menu in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel Display Menu (below refresh rate) is redundant with Windows 10 Setting, so Intel can remove it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your feedback, I will check on this to see if it is going to be available in future drivers.

Best regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello iede,

After researching for this information, we do not know if this will be back in the driver so we cannot provide an ETA, at this point I suggest you to keep checking the download center for new driver and see if they have this option back.

Best regards,

Ivan
0 Kudos
ide
Novice

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your information. But could you please pass this to development team? so that they know that there is someone out there that need this functionality in their latest graphic driver. For sure now I'm stuck with driver version 20.19.15.4531 because newer driver after that version doesn't have this functionality.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello iede,

I would like to confirm that we already passed your feedback to our development team.

Specifically, the part of enabling the hot-keys functionality without necessarily having the option in the Graphics Control Panel (i.e. the redundant part).

Kindest Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you Ronald_Intel for posting this information.

Regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos
ide
Novice

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for the information, and I'll update later if newer driver has this functionality back again.

0 Kudos
MDeta
Beginner

Hi Iede,

Got the same surprise after updating the new graphics driver.

I "solved" it by installing iRotate (freeware), which works perfectly in Windows 10 (completely up2date).

Best regards,

Groentebroer

0 Kudos
ST7
Beginner

Hi iede,

You are not alone, same problem here ...

Mobo Asus (workstation), after the upgrade to the latest version, the rotate hotkey disappeared ... tried the asus and the intel version, same problem and this thread confirm that. Hoping that intel fix the problem asap in the meantime i rollback to the previous version 😕

0 Kudos
JGraf1
Beginner

I've been working with Intel to resolve this same problem with the 540 hardware (also on a Dell laptop). At least they told you why the rotation feature was removed. The best I got was "talk to Microsoft about how to block updates". Now that I know it was deliberately removed at least I can hope that they will restore the functionality in a future update. I found that the last driver that supported rotation was from 2016-09-29. According to Microsoft, you can stop auto-update:

Go to the services control panel by running

1. services.msc

Set the Startup Type for Background Intelligent Transfer Service to Disabled then Stop the service.

Set the Startup Type for Windows Search to Manual.

Set the Startup Type for Windows Update to Manual (it may display as Manual (Trigger Start)).

I was told that by doing this I would still be able to get updates, but I would have the option of deciding which ones to apply (like I used to do in XP and W7).

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos