Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Roaming aggressiveness 7260AC set to highest yet signal strength goes past -80 dbm before roaming occurs. How can I make roaming happen at a more reasonable time?

MDAmo
Novice

Roaming aggressiveness 7260AC set to highest yet signal strength goes past -80 dbm before roaming occurs. How can I make roaming happen at a more reasonable time?

5 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Mike00,

Signal strength depends on several factors.

1. Disable Bluetooth* if not in use as it shares the same antennas with Wi-Fi.

2. Check with your Computer manufacturer first in order to obtain the latest drivers: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites

3. As a second option, you can try our latest drivers verision (18.21.0) found in our download center: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75439/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7260 Drivers & Software according to your OS version (32 or 64 bit).

4. Try changing the channel on the router to a less crowded channel. Usually most routers come by default set to channel 11 and/or 6.

5. Set the HT Mode to HT Mode.

6. Change the Channel Width to 20GHz

MDAmo
Novice

Sorry for the long delay. Lot's of changes going on at our school. Anyway, what HT and not VHT? As I understand it VHT is for ac and HT is for n and we have the 7260 AC. And why 20Ghz and not no preference?

We still have laptops clinging to WAPs on occasion but at n and ac speeds even 30% signal gives reasonable performance.

We have made progress overall but there's always room for improvement. Thanks for your suggestions.

ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Mike00,

In this particular case, the range here is a big differencial. 2.4 GHz at 20 GHz has more penetration than 5 GHz at 40 GHz and this one can be easily disrupted by physical obstacles such as walls and objects so if you move from one place to another depending on the obstacles found in the way, you may experieince connetion drops. So, Very High Throughput commonly known as VHT is ideal for indoor connections without obstacles. On the other hand High Throughput or HT is ideal for when you have to move from one place to another with your wireless devices due to its broad range. We hoped this answerd your questions.

0 Kudos
MDAmo
Novice

Thanks Aleki

All your suggestions have been helpful. The accumulation of your answers is the correct "one" - is there any way for me to indicate multiple correct answers?

The incidents of clinging have dropped so I take that to be an indication of appropriate roaming. Thanks again.

Just a quick background on the larger issue..... We have roaming profiles and had been plagued with a very high percentage of failed logins. All of our WAPs were old HP g-level. We felt we had a timing issue somewhere. So we figured we'd try faster WAPs (and the HPs were pretty old to boot). This was working except we had lots of clinging which did seem to impact login success. That seems to be fixed now. We'll see better as time goes on.

Mike

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Mike00,

Thank you Mike! I believe you can mark the ones that helped you the most. We are glad to know that our assistance helped you.

0 Kudos