Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

How should I troubleshoot an issue where enabling VT-x on my i7-3770K causes delays whenever the screen needs to refresh (waking from sleep/screensaver, switching to and from Full Screen programs, etc.) and occasionally crashes?

EWu16
Beginner

I'm assuming this is an issue with the processor.

With VT-x disabled, my computer runs perfectly smoothly, but with VT-x enabled, the computer runs slower and sometimes crashes soon after booting up.

Has anyone had this issue before?

Hardware (in case it's not my processor):

Processor: i7-3770K

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

Memory: 16 GB G.Skill (F3-2133C9D-16GTX)

Booting Drive: 250 GB Samung 840 EVO

Video Card: AMD R9 290 (PowerColor AXR9 290 4GBD5-PPDHE)

Power Supply: Thermaltake ToughPower Grand 700W (Thermaltake TPG-700M)

Thanks in advance,

Eugene

1 Solution
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Crashes may signal that some software in OS already attempts to use virtualization, i.e. system infested by rootkit virus. Better check the PC offline using antivirus LiveCD (available from many AV-companies on their sites).

Also, check that you have a latest mainboard BIOS and BIOS option Execute Disable Bit is enabled and VT-d (VT for directed I/O) is disabled (cause CPU not support it).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Crashes may signal that some software in OS already attempts to use virtualization, i.e. system infested by rootkit virus. Better check the PC offline using antivirus LiveCD (available from many AV-companies on their sites).

Also, check that you have a latest mainboard BIOS and BIOS option Execute Disable Bit is enabled and VT-d (VT for directed I/O) is disabled (cause CPU not support it).

EWu16
Beginner

Thanks! I don't know what exactly was wrong with it, but using the LiveCD fixed it.

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Yoh2241,

I am glad to hear the LiveCD fixed the issue with the VT-X on your Intel i7-3770k

Regards,

Caesar B.

0 Kudos