Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14540 Discussions

Bug Report: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility unable to change power limit on Skylake-X processor

JGook
Beginner

I have an Intel Core i9-7900X processor and a ASUS PRIME X299-A motherboard. I have configured the motherboard to use the default power limits for the processor (140 W TDP), intending to use XTU to override them at the OS level. With the pre-release XTU version 6.3.0.35 available on the ASUS website, setting the Turbo Boost Power Max works as expected. However, with the latest version, 6.3.0.54, from the Download Center, setting the power no longer works. Although I can change the Turbo Boost Power Max to "unlimited," when I run a stress test like Prime95, the reported package power is limited to 140 W, and I observe a frequency reduction.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jsgook,

Thank you for joining the processors community.

Please let me double check this matter, I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/116471 jsgook, I would like to request the specific steps you followed to encounter this issue, this in order replicate the behavior from my end.

Thank you.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
JGook
Beginner

Hi Amy,

These are the steps I used on my hardware:

ASUS-specific:

(0a) ASUS PRIME X299-A in out-of-box condition, updated to BIOS version 0402.

(0b) Reset BIOS to default configuration.

(0b) In BIOS, enable SVID (for power limit readings), disable ASUS MultiCore Enhancement (i.e. no overclock), set processor frequency to Auto.

After this state, XTU reports these default configurations:

- 140 W Turbo Boost Power Max

- 168 W Turbo Boost Short-Term Power Max

- 135 A Processor Current Limit

Using Intel XTU version 6.3.0.54 from Download Center, I change the parameters to:

- Unlimited Turbo Boost Power Max

- Unlimited Turbo Boost Short-Term Power Max

- 1023 A Processor Current Limit

After I apply these settings, the XTU UI shows the new values. However, when I run a stress test like Prime95 v28.10 ("Small FFT") or Intel Math Kernel Library Benchmark ("linpack/runme_xeon64.bat"), the package TDP in the XTU monitor never exceeds 140 W, and the frequency is reduced. When I use the earlier XTU 6.3.0.35 from ASUS, the power consumption in LINPACK is observed to reach 170+ W, and the frequency remains at the maximum turbo frequency.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks John.

I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

John, I am in the process of replicating this behavior on my system, but I would like to get the same XTU version that you got from the ASUS website. Is there any direct link where I can get it?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
JGook
Beginner

Hi Amy,

I downloaded the XTU version from (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Utility/IXTU_Win7-10_V63035_20170608.zip http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Utility/IXTU_Win7-10_V63035_20170608.zip). If the URL does not work, it is labeled "Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility V6.3.0.35 for Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 10 64-bit" on their PRIME X299-A drivers page (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X299-A/HelpDesk_Download/ https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X299-A/HelpDesk_Download/).

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks again John!

I will share my results as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
JGook
Beginner

Hi Amy,

Is there any update on this issue?

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

John I am still reviewing this matter, at this stage I have not been able to replicate the behavior. I will try to one more time and let you know the results.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

John, thank you for your patience.

I would like to request the following test; set your BIOS to default and try not to modify additional BIOS settings, then load the XTU from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427 Download Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) one more time and test again. If you still observe the issue, please confirm which XTU value you modified and we will continue reviewing this matter.

Please shared your results.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
JGook
Beginner

Hi Amy,

I used the XTU 6.3.0.56 that you linked and did not see any difference. However, regarding BIOS settings, I did find something of importance in reproducing this issue. In the default (factory reset) state, my ASUS X299-A (BIOS 0402) boots with the power limits disabled (set to 4 kW). In this state, I was able to use XTU to set the power limit to 140 W and also to clear it again. However, if the system boots with a power limit initially configured, then XTU versions other than 6.3.0.35 are not able to change the power limit. I have tried two different ways to get power limits set on boot; on my motherboard, I can either change the "CPU frequency" to "AUTO" or explicitly set PL1 in "CPU Internal Power Management." In both cases, XTU is unable to change the power limit after booting. The parameter I am adjusting in XTU is called "Turbo Boost Power Max."

On one hand, I have found a workaround for the issue, as I can boot without power limits and then impose them later at the OS layer. On the other hand, I feel there is still a software defect worth investigating, since I had no issue with the earlier XTU 6.3.0.35.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

John, thank you for your collaboration.

Let me review this result, will update you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

John, thank you for patience.

I have filed this matter with our internal team, we have reviewed this matter at this stage the recommendation we can provide for you is to stay with the XTU provided by ASUS since this is the customized version for your specific motherboard. Our Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility is a generic version that we are constantly working on improve it, if there are more versions available in the future you should be able to find it here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Drivers & Software

Thank you very much for all your feedback and collaboration.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos