Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S2600WTTR Power failure if USB Disk connected

SDiem
Novice

Hi,

we have several new Servers with the S2600WTTR Mainboard (System BIOS - R01.01.0021 and R01.01.0022).

When we connect a USB 3.0 Disk (WD Elements 2TB), the server beeps and restarts.

Beep Code: 1-5-4-2

Associated Sensor: Power fault

Reason for Beep: DC power unexpectedly lost (power good dropout) -Power unit sensors report power unit failure offset...

In the BMC Server Health log i have this entries:

807/21/2017 16:11:06Pwr Unit StatusPower Unitreports the power unit has suffered a failure - On-board 5V and 3V3 Power failure, - Deasserted22707/21/2017 16:11:05Pwr Unit StatusPower Unitreports the power unit is powered off or being powered down - Deasserted22607/21/2017 16:11:00Pwr Unit StatusPower Unitreports the power unit is powered off or being powered down - Asserted

Update:

I have this problem on Servers with Vmware installed / also on Systems with Windows - Do i need to check some Bios Settings ?

If the Server stands on BIOS Screen and you connect the USB Disk, also a power fault occure and the server restarts...

Any ideas ? any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Silvan,

Regarding your problem, "When connecting the USB 3.0 (WD Elements 2 TB), the server restarts and give a beep code of 1-5-4-2".

Yes is related to power failure. Could please provide me with some more information:
  • What chases model are you using?
  • Model and number of processors?
  • Total RAM -How many Dimm per processor?
  • Number of HDD?
  • How many power supplies?
  • If the power supplies connected to same or different power distribution?
  • Number of FANs

And if you have tried to use different types and manufacturers of USB devices?

Thank you for the information.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
SDiem
Novice

Hello Henry

What chases model are you using? R2224WTTYSR

Model and number of processors? 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 v4 @ 2.00GHz

Total RAM -How many Dimm per processor? 8 x 32768 DDR4/2400 Kingston - Total 16 -> 512 GB

Number of HDD? 10x

How many power supplies? 2 x FLEXTRONICS/S-1100ADU00-201/G84027-007

If the power supplies connected to same or different power distribution? different

Number of FANs? 6x

If i use a USB Disk with dedicated Power-Supply it works fine. Is this a normal behavior on Servers ? (Reboot if the USB Device needs more power as expected?)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Silvan,

Thank you for the detail information you provided. One question, if you connect a small USB key or any other USB HDD with a smaller size.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
SDiem
Novice

Hi Henry

Thanks for your reply.

We tried several USB Sticks. -> No Problem at all. Also Smaller USB HDD (500 GB) with no additional Power Supply works without a Problem.

I'm just wondering that with older Servers (S5520UR) we used the 2 TB USB Drives without any problems. Now, with newer Boards S2600WTTR we can't.

This an Example of When Newer Is Not Always Better

Thanks in advance.

Silvan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Silvan,

Thank you for the detail information you provided. If this is happening, then let's work together on this. Could you please double check with manufacturer of drive because it could be something on the connection? Also, please send me the model of the HDD and to which USB port you are connecting to the server. If possible a picture on the drive and the cable you using to connect it. With this information I will try to recreate the scenery and if necessary escalate it to engineering..

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
SDiem
Novice

Hi Henry,

Thanks for your support.

Here some picture of P/N of the drive

the cable (original to the drive)

here you can find more... https://www.wdc.com/products/portable-storage/wd-elements-portable.html WD Elements Portable – Hard Drive | Western Digital (WD)

i tried every USB Ports in the rear of the server...always the same...

Hope this information helps you. Otherwise let me know if you need more details.

Thanks in advance

Silvan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Silvan,

Again, thank you for the information I am going to start a forum with manufacturer to see if they have encounter any problems. Please allow me a few days.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Silvan,

My apologize on the delay, but I am still waiting for a response from Western Diginal. Please allow me a few days.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Silvan,

My apologize on the delay, but I am still waiting for a response from Western Digital. Please allow me a few days.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Silvan,

My apologies for the delay, but Western Digital already reply and requested some information. I reply back and will wait on their answer. Please allow me a few days.

Best regards,

Henry A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Silvan,

My apologies for the delay, but Western Digital already reply and provided the following information:

Thank you for your continued response.

I regret to inform you that our drive is configured to work optimally with the supported Windows 10, 8 and 7, Windows Vista® , Windows XP and it requires reformatting for Mac OS X. We haven't tested our drive with Windows Server 2012 R2. So I would request you to check your drive on any other computer running on supported Windows or Mac operating system and check if it causes the same issue or not.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Paul

Western Digital Service and Support

http://support.wdc.com http://support.wdc.com

And you have tested other USB devices and they worked fine.

Recommend to open a ticket with Western Digital.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
SDiem
Novice

Many Thanks. Very helpful.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Silvan,

I am glad I was able to provide you with an answer; I know is not the one you might have expected. I will recommend checking with WD to see if they have a possible fix. If it is ok with you I will go ahead and close this ticket.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
SDiem
Novice

Hi Henry,

Do what you want, i do not spend any time into this community - if such simple answers are meant seriously.The operating system has absolutely no influence. (As you can see in the first post:

"If the Server stands on BIOS Screen and you connect the USB Disk, also a power fault occure and the server restarts...")

But feel free close this this ticket, but you can also delete my user account. i don't need it anymore...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Silvan,

I am sorry the information is not as we thought it was going to be. But Western Digital only provided no other answer. I am not able to replicate the same HDD you have, but I've tested other WD and manufacture and it works fine on the system board.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Silvan,

I've tested even a HDD cage that requiered two USB connections and I had no problems.

I will recomend under warranty to open a case with WD.

Best Regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos