Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

How can I determine the class of Intel bluetooth products?

lhenn3
Beginner

I want to purchase bluetooth products that require my PC to have class 1 bluetooth capabilities (see attached image from wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth Bluetooth - Wikipedia)

I have spent more then a week googling and looking through spec sheets etc but I cannot find any information on device class in the released specs from Intel nor can I find the required information anywhere else online. Can someone from Intel instruct me as to how I find out this important information regarding Intel manufactured devices? I have several PCs all with different Intel manufactured bluetooth devices and would like to know this class information for each one.

Any information provided will be very gratefully received as I am just about pulling my hair out at this point.

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
lhenn3
Beginner

...or if this is the wrong forum to ask this question could someone please advise me as to what is the best way to get this question answered?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello withheld,

We are unable provide this type of information, as actual throughput and range will vary depending on several factors such as specific OS, hardware (chasis material, antenna gain), and software configurations.

Our best recommendation will be to contact your http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html computer manufacturer, who should be able to provide an answer based on your system's regulatory documents. The same will apply if you're looking to purchase a pre-build system with class 1 Bluetooth* capabilities, or upgrade your current adapter (some OEM systems are limited to function only with white-listed WLAN adapters. We do not support wireless upgrades).

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade.

If you're a developer or system builder looking to integrate an Intel® Wireless Adapter into your design, we can recommend engaging your sales representative directly, or lacking one, our https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/resource-design-center.html Resource and Design Center.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos
lhenn3
Beginner

Ok thanks for your reply, but I seem to be more confused now. I understand these class ratings relate to the transmit power and not throughput or range of the device in question. Are you saying that different PC manufacturers can modify the power characteristics of Intel manufactured chips? If so then surely its no longer an Intel chip at that point and would not legally be classed as such.

Of course I understand that PC manufacturers can, presumably, limit, for example, the power supply to the chip. But that would be a different circumstance entirely - eg. if a class 1 chip has its power supply limited to that of a class 2 chip it doesnt make it a class 2 chip, right? Its still a class 1 chip but with limited capabilities, right?

But alas I am no electric engineer, perhaps someone can explain if my thinking has gone wrong.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello withheld,

I understand what you're saying. I'm currently looking into this subject and will post back with more information once we're able to confirm it.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello withheld,

Thank you for your patience. Looking into this, I was able to confirm that all of our adapters are Class 1.

Actual range (which is what most people ask about) may vary depending on the system it was integrated into, and OEM placed limitations.

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
lhenn3
Beginner

Awesome, thank you very much for the information. When you say all do you mean all including all previous model adapters? or just all the current adapters?

The reason I ask is that I have some older machines with Intel wifi/ bluetooth and would like to know if this applies to all of them or maybe not. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello withheld,

I only looked into current and recently retired models.

If you let me know https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005655.html which adapters are in those computers I will check the documentation to make sure that it's applicable for them as well.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
lhenn3
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

I very much appreciate your help with this, the 2 adapters I am interested in are as follows:

Intel Centrino N - 2230 (I think it said Intel bluetooth 4.0)

Intel Wifi Link 5300, Bluetooth 365

Thanks and Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello withheld,

The Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 is a Class 1 adapter.

The Intel® WiFi Link 5300 on the other hand, doesn't have a Bluetooth* module. You computer manufacturer may have installed a stand alone Bluetooth* adapter for this, which is not something that we manufacture.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
lhenn3
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Brilliant thanks, I tested all my PCs last night and the old one with the wifi link 5300 got barely 3m range with no obstructions, so I am guessing that one is class 3. The other 2 do seem to give reliable signal in excess of 10m with obstructions, so my testing appears to agree that they are indeed class 1.

Thanks for answering my question completely, I appreciate your help with this.

Maybe this is not the correct place, but I would like to add my opinion that in the future it would probably save lots of cumulative time if Intel were to publish this info along with the other specs published for network adapters.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello withheld,

I can't help but agree. This would save both of us quite a bit of searching, I'll make sure to pass your feedback along.

We're always glad to help. If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos