Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

WiFi Direct co-existence support

kb2
Beginner

Hi,

I want the PC to acts as an Access Point (Mobile Hotspot ) and it should also have to run the Miracast Sink (WiFi Direct) in parallel.

command : netsh wlan show drivers

Driver : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

Date : 20-02-2017

Version : 19.50.0.11

It shows Hosted network supported : No supported.

I want to the run the Mobile Hotspot, and Miracast WiFi Direct Sink device in the Windows 10 in parallel.

Both of them uses the Microsoft WiFi Direct Virtual adapter.

Is it really possible to have multiple virtual adapters running in parallel ?

I checked the Wireless Device Capabilities,

Co-existence Support : Wi-Fi performance is maintained.

But i am not able to run it.

Regards

Karthikeyan B

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Karthikeyan,

We understand you want to use your PC as a Mobile Hotspot and run Miracast* at the same time. As you mentioned, both technologies are based on WiFi Direct and use the same hardware as well, so we would expect conflicts or issues in this scenario.

We actually did some testing in our lab and confirmed that Miracast and Hotspot could not work at the same time. We tried 2 different computers with Windows* 10, both features worked well independently. However, the wireless display would disconnect as soon as we enabled mobile hotspot; also, when we had hotspot enabled, we could not connect to the Miracast receiver. It was not possible to run both in parallel in any of the two test systems.

We hope this helps clarify your inquiry. Additionally, you can check about this with Microsoft* Support.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
kb2
Beginner

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for the reply.

Will the wifi chip-set and driver support the feature of co-existence, in any other platforms

Regards

Karthikeyan B

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Karthikeyan,

We will check if it is possible to get more information about this. To our knowledge this may not be possible since Hotspot and Miracast* use the same resources, probably you would not get a satisfactory experience.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Karthikeyan,

We received confirmation that you would not have a good experience with both features enabled, so concurrence is probably unsupported in the OS.

We advise you to check with Microsoft* Support for details, since Hotspot and Miracast* and features provided by the OS.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos