Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

No HDMI Audio in Fallout 4

JLa1
Novice

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section. I used to be able to just plug in my TV with HDMI, fire up Fallout 4 and have everything work and be able to play with a controller on the couch. The only problem is, when I updated my graphics driver, the audio stopped working with Fallout 4. I wouldn't be able to hear anything through the TV. And for those people who are going to be like " You should be playing at a desk" and "Intel HD is not designed for high end gaming!" but guess what? It used to work fine! It wasn't the best performance but it worked. Anyway, I've tried downgrading my Intel HD Display Audio driver in device manager with an older version, but that didn't work. Then I downgraded both my Graphics and my Audio driver and that worked but I would rather not have to use an older version of the driver just for one game.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Jacky161,

I'm sorry for taking so long to come back with an update. This issue was under investigation and our development team had plenty to look for.

It has been determined that this issue is actually coming from the application itself (i.e. Fallout 4). You see, when the application launches, the driver does a 'modeset' with a max delay of 8 seconds (max time defined by the HDMI specification) during which the audio gets disabled. It is at this point that the application checks for audio presence (shows disabled), hence audio drop occurs. The application(s) that run into this problem need to be updated so they detect the audio for more than 8 seconds upon launch.

Intel is already reaching out to developers so they can look into this and fix their code.

A temporary workaround I have observed is making sure that the game resolution matches the one set in Windows* (e.g. in the game settings set 1920x1080 if that is the one you have in Windows*)

The reason why this issue doesn't occur on previous drivers is because due to a code bug, they were taking longer than 8 seconds for 'modeset'. However this was actually undesired behavior since it affects plenty of other scenarios.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
idata
Employee

Jacky161: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Graphics communities.

We are sorry to hear that the audio is not working properly when playing Fallout 4.

In order to try to fix the problem we just wanted to check few details:

What is the model of the motherboard?

What is the model of the processor?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Which Windows version are you using?

Are you using an adapter or converter to connect the TV? If that is the case, please provide the model of the device.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
JLa1
Novice

Since it's a laptop I have no idea what model the motherboard is exactly but CPU-Z says that it's an "Ironman_SK" if that's useful.

The processor is an i5-7200u.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-5476

I'm running the latest public build of Windows 10 Build 1703

I am not using an adapter or converter to connect it to my TV.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Jacky161: Thank you very much for providing that information.

Remember that the Intel graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your system. That is why we always recommend to install the drivers provided by the manufacturer of it, since they were customized in this case by Acer to work with that specific laptop.

Not sure if this is the specific model of laptop that you are using, but on the link below you will find the graphics drivers provided by Acer, please look for VGA version 4627:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6752?b=1 https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6752?b=1

Now, since the processor works with Intel® HD Graphics 620, if the problem persists we can also try driver version 4729:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26941/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-?product=96551 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26941/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-?product=96551

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
JLa1
Novice

Both drivers do not fix the problem. With the OEM driver though after the main opening scene the audio then switches over to the internal laptop speaker instead of the TV or having no audio at all. The generic driver you linked to was the driver I had the issue with from the start so that didn't fix it either.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Jacky161: Thank you very much for providing those details. We are sorry to hear the problem persists after trying both drivers.

We will start a research on this matter. In order for us to do that, please provide the information requested on the link below:

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
JLa1
Novice

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

When using HDMI to plug in a TV to play Fallout 4 on the TV, there is no HDMI audio in the game. (There is audio when not in the game)

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%)

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-5476

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

N/A

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-top: none; border-right: 1pt...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Jacky161: Thank you so very much for providing that information. We checked those files and confirmed that the driver was properly install and so is the HDMI audio driver. You mentioned that by downgrading the graphics and audio driver the game works fine. So, just to confirm, when you do that, do you see any other problem with the performance of the laptop? The reason for this question is because if everything works fine on the laptop with an older graphics driver, then you can keep using that driver since it will be the proper one for your system.

Now, is there any reason why you need to install the latest graphics driver on your laptop? We were able to replicate the issue in our lab, and we are still doing a research on this matter. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
JLa1
Novice

Well, mostly with the older driver, it's mostly fine. It's just with the performance of the older driver in games. I've noticed in especially Minecraft, it's around 10-20 frames lower in some areas of my world than the newer driver so that's why I would like to have the newer driver. Until it get's fixed what I'm doing is I have a 3.5mm headphone jack cable that has 2 audio connectors on the other end and I have configured my TV to get audio from that instead of HDMI Audio.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Jacky161: Thank you very much for sharing those comments. We will continue with our research on this matter. As soon as I get any more details I will post all the information on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Jacky161,

We have replicated this with our latest driver, and we could see the issue. Since this was fixed before with driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26836 15.45.4678 , we categorized it internally as a regression bug (i.e. work on it should not take long).

Once I have an update I'll post it here.

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to us.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Jacky161,

I'm sorry for taking so long to come back with an update. This issue was under investigation and our development team had plenty to look for.

It has been determined that this issue is actually coming from the application itself (i.e. Fallout 4). You see, when the application launches, the driver does a 'modeset' with a max delay of 8 seconds (max time defined by the HDMI specification) during which the audio gets disabled. It is at this point that the application checks for audio presence (shows disabled), hence audio drop occurs. The application(s) that run into this problem need to be updated so they detect the audio for more than 8 seconds upon launch.

Intel is already reaching out to developers so they can look into this and fix their code.

A temporary workaround I have observed is making sure that the game resolution matches the one set in Windows* (e.g. in the game settings set 1920x1080 if that is the one you have in Windows*)

The reason why this issue doesn't occur on previous drivers is because due to a code bug, they were taking longer than 8 seconds for 'modeset'. However this was actually undesired behavior since it affects plenty of other scenarios.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.