Items with no label
3335 Discussions

when i use camera explorer it shows device failed due to malfunctioning.

jzhan57
Novice

Hi MartyG,

I get the following message when launching Camera Explorer of the SDK sample Browser: Device failed due to malfunctionning.

When launching SDK Sample Browser :Raw Streams (C++) the camera only is recognized and functions correctly, but not the depth and IR.

My camera is rs300, and my system is win10,and my processer is i7-6700,when I use the tool ,it shows the error as follow:

and I have tried the flowing steps:

1.my computer is not surface book or acer.

2.my computer is desktop pc, and it has not inner camera.

3.I have shut down the fast startup.

4.The os is win10 enterprise, and the version is build 14393.

5.I have tried the cursor sample,it did not work too.

6.It is in a USB 3.0 port, ive tried about 6 of them now.

7.I have tried to reinstall the driver and sdk, but that did not work.

Please help me in this issue.

Thanks.MartyG

0 Kudos
16 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

When a RealSense camera is not functioning correctly, it is treated by the PC as an ordinary webcam without depth and IR functions. This is likely why you can use it for RGB video functions like a webcam and get a color stream, but not access the other streams.

Your PC hardware, which as a 6th generation Skylake type processor, meets the minimum requirements for use with RealSense. I am not certain whether your use of Windows 10 Enterprise rather than Windows 10 Home or Pro is a factor. The minimum requirements for RealSense simply specify 'Windows 10 64-bit in general', rather than any particular flavor of Win10.

I note in your Device Manager that you are using a third-party version of the SR300 camera, the BlasterX Senz3D. Creative recommend in the BlasterX manual to download the camera's drivers from their own support website.

Three download options are provided. My interpretation is that you should download and install the top file (the BlasterX Acoustic Engine's latest version) and the bottom file (the camera firmware driver) and skip the middle file, which is an older version of the Acoustic Engine.

http://bit.ly/2vZv8UT Creative Worldwide Support > BlasterX Senz3D

0 Kudos
jzhan57
Novice

Hi,MartyG

I'm so excited to get your reply.

You said maybe I am are using a third-party version of the SR300 camera. This is the picture of the product packaging. I am wonder is it a third-party version? And i found BlasterX is just a factory mading sound goods after searching the internet.

what should i do next, please help me in this issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

It looks as though that is the box of an official Intel RealSense SR300 camera. The SR300 is made by Creative, but they also make an own-branded version of the camera called the BlasterX Senz3D which has this box.

I am not sure why your PC has a driver for the Senz3D present in your Device Manager then if you do not have a Senz3D camera plugged in to it. If you do have an official SR300 camera attached, the rest of the driver files for it in the Device Manager look fine.

A while back there were a lot of people having problems with their RealSense cameras not working with Build 14393 of Windows 10 and versions slightly older / newer than that. It was a long time before they worked again for a brief period, and then some cameras stopped working again when Build 15063 (the Creators Update) was released. Intel and Microsoft are currently working on a fix for that, and the current status for it is "pending".

Is this the first time you have used Windows 10 Enterprise build 14393 with RealSense? Has the camera worked with it before and now stopped, or has it never worked?

It may be worth trying a workaround for the current SR300 problems provided by user Slothameedes and recommended by Intel.

I should also add that if your PC meets the minimum specification for RealSense and the drivers seem fine, then a common cause of the camera not being detected properly is an instability in the power supplied by that particular PC's USB ports, which would usually effect all the ports on that machine. Many people have found that an instant cure for their camera detection problems is to purchase a mains-powered USB hub for around $15 from a store such as Amazon, and plug the camera into that instead of directly into the PC. You can find them on a store such as Amazon by searching for 'powered usb 3.0 hub'.

0 Kudos
jzhan57
Novice

Hi,MartyG

I have received your reply. It is my first time to use the realSense camera. And i will try your advice that i will by usb 3.0 hub.

The other question is whether 14393 is still available .should I just wait intel and microsft deal the problem ?

I am so sorry tomorrow i will not work.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There is no date available yet on when Intel and Microsoft's fix will be available. There is also no guarantee that it would work with Windows 10 Enterprise build 14393, since they are targeting to fix build 15063 with it.

So I believe that a powered hub represents your best chance for a quick fix if the problem is indeed with your USB ports rather than a driver problem. Your drivers look fine in the Device Manager, though I am not sure why you have a BlasterX driver in the Sound and Video section of the Device Manager if you do not have a BlasterX attached to your PC.

Could you tell me please whether you purchased your camera from the Intel online store? I just want to make sure that you didn't buy it from a non-Intel store that sold it to you in an official SR300 box but with a BlasterX camera put in the box (the two cameras do look similar visually).

0 Kudos
jzhan57
Novice

Hi,MartyG

1.I have asked where the realsense is purchased ,it is in JingDong instead of Intel online store.

2.Could you give me a link of the hub which many people buy and fixed the problem.

3.which windows version is available before,i will try it.

4.If it is ture that i just buy a camera which is in an official SR300 box but with a BlasterX camera put in the box, what should i do next. I have search the creative website, however i did not find the driver for the camera.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jzhan57
Novice

Hi,MartyG

The camera in my box is like this. I search the web and it is shoud be the official Intel RealSense SR300 camera.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I compared pictures of the BlasterX with my SR300. They seem to have identical casings, with even the 'Creative' logo in the same place on top of the camera. This makes sense - since Creative manufacture both the SR300 for Intel and their own BlasterX version, it is much easier for them to use the same components.

1. If it is indeed a BlasterX camera that you received then it is not a fake camera that you have received, just a slightly different one that does the same job as an SR300. I believe some people think the BlasterX is actually the better camera of the two.

The BlasterX website's Minimum Requirements section says that you can actually use Intel's own DCM installer with the BlasterX, and link to the same Intel DCM download page that the SR300 uses. Since the Intel DCM installs the camera firmware driver too then the best course of action may be to totally ignore Creative's driver download page and just install the Intel DCM as though you were using an official SR300 camera.

That way, it does not matter if the camera in the box is an SR300 or a BlasterX - the installation process is the same, and both cameras should work the same.

JingDong (also known as JD) is a very reputable company. Intel even worked with them when RealSense first came out in 2014 to do a trial of the older F200 camera in their warehouse. So if you wish to return the camera, you would have to return it to JingDong instead of Intel, but you should have 90 days after the date of purchase to return it.

2. If you wish to easily get a powered hub, you can find some by going to JD.com and searching for 'powered usb 3.0 hub'. I like how JD also suggested Vinda sanitary pads as something else I might like to buy as well as the hub.

3. Both the BlasterX and SR300 use Windows 10. They do not tell you to use a particular version of Windows (Home, Pro, Enterprise, etc). So all of the main Windows 10 versions should work with it.

0 Kudos
jzhan57
Novice

Hi,MartyG

Does it means that the only thing that I can do is to wait the hub arrival?

How to deal with the additional 'Blaster Senz3d VF0810' driver, did you have the driver?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I would advise waiting for the hub and see if that solves your problem. If it doesn't then you should still have time to return the camera to JingDong for a refund or a replacement camera if it was bought less than 90 days ago. And even if the hub does not solve your problem with this particular camera, it is worth keeping for if you get a replacement SR300, as the camera is generally more reliable when used with a powered hub.

Could you unplug the camera please and tell me if the BlasterX Senz3D entry disappears, or if it stays in the Device Manager list even when the camera is unplugged?

0 Kudos
jzhan57
Novice

Hi,MartyG

When I unplug the camera the BlasterX Senz3D entry disappears.

Did the powered hub means a usb 3.0 hub with a individual power witch provides stable electrical energy , like this?

thanks.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If the BlasterX entry disappears when you unplug the camera, this makes me think that the camera is indeed a BlasterX, and that when you plug the camera in then the Device Manager reads the camera hardware's ID as being a BlasterX instead of an SR300.

As I said, having a BlasterX would not stop you from using RealSense, as the BlasterX is really an SR300 with a different name and some extra software supplied by Creative, such as its Acoustic Engine software for increasing performance.

The reason that a powered hub helps reliability is that on some PCs the power supplied to the port by the PC may fluctuate, causing the RealSense camera's connection to drop (as RealSense cameras are very sensitive to the state of the USB port). Having a mans powered hub helps to avoid these power fluctuations occurring, reducing the likelihood that the camera's connection will drop. Connection drops can cause the camera to not be detected by installation software such as the RealSense DCM, even if the camera is plugged in and showing in the Device Manager.

0 Kudos
jzhan57
Novice

Hi,MartyG

1.It means I can still use the RealSense DCM(and have no choise), and RealSense Camera SR300 rgb/deepth/virtual driver and BlasterX exist simultaneously. And I can not uninstall any of them because it can install again if I uninstall any of them.

2.Does it means the SDK is still available even if my camera is a BlasterX? (the tool named camera explorer should work too?)

I will update the information after a get a hub(it is on the way to me).

thank you for all you did very much, and hava a nice weekend.(Are you the supporter or a developer of RealSense?)

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

1. My interpretation of Creative's instructions is that although the camera hardware may be identified by Windows as having an ID called 'BlasterX Senz3D VF0810' in the 'Sound, Video and Game Controllers' section of the Device Manager, it can use the official RealSense SR300 DCM software for its RGB, Depth and Virtual drivers . So you have the situation where your camera is a BlasterX but the drivers are listed as being SR300 drivers in the 'Imaging Devices' section.

The code number of the official SR300 camera is also VF0810. So the two cameras are like almost-identical twin brothers.

If you have tried uninstalling the SR300 drivers from the Device Manager and they have come back, this is likely because the DCM is no longer needed for the SR300 if you have an internet connection. If you plug the camera in and the Device Manager does not have the SR300 drivers in it, then the Update feature of Windows looks online for the drivers and automatically downloads and installs them.

I do not see anything wrong with the SR300 drivers in the Device Manager. You have everything there that is meant to be there (RGB, Depth and Virtual drivers). So I would not try installing the SR300 DCM again, in case you break something that is already okay right now.

2. The BlasterX works fine with the RealSense SDK, and a number of developers have successfully used a BlasterX with it.

I am not on the RealSense development team. I am known by Intel as a 'Super User' because I support RealSense but are not employed by Intel.

0 Kudos
jzhan57
Novice

Hi,MartyG

The hub has arrived and I have tried it. And it works as you said.

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

That's great news! I hope that you enjoy your camera. Please come back to this forum any time that you need help. Good luck!

0 Kudos