Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

NUC6i7KYK with monitor on Display Port 1.2 doesn't turn on

EBlom
Beginner

Dear Intelexperts,

Recently purchased the Intel NUC Canyon NUC6i7KYK and reasonably happy with it. One thing that is bothering is the fact that my 2nd screen (simple 17 inch 1280*1024 TFT with VGA connector attached with a DisplayPort to VGA cable) won't turn on properly. Sometimes it does go on but most of the times I boot into Windows 10 I need to manually remove the cable and plug it in again. And this also often does not help.

Driver date is from 8/11/2016 and version is 20.19.15.4501

First screen is connected via HDMI , running on 1920*1080 - no problems with that.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
EBlom
Beginner

I should add that in most cases the 2nd monitor turns on when I remove the displayport cable and plug it back in. However, this does not work all the time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ejblom,

It seems related to the DisplayPort to VGA cable you have, Intel recommends using straight connections in order to ensure the connection between the components. You mentioned that the HDMI connection worked fine, so this is indicating that your DisplayPort to VGA cable is not working due compatibility issues.

Regards,

Amy.

EBlom
Beginner

Hello Amy,

Thanks for the reply. I can understand that a monitor won't work if the cable is not compatible. However, every now and then it does work and also when I remove the cable and plug it back in. This behavior indicates that the problem might also be linked to a driver. It's not that the problem is consistent, if it would, I could understand that it is linked to a faulty or non-compatible cable.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You have the latest driver installed, straight connections(HDMI to HDMI) are working fine so this is not a driver issue. You have intermittent issue with the DisplayPort to VGA cable, this is narrow to that cable. Bear in mind that you are converting a digital signal to analog signal, so it might work and at the same time it might not work. What if you use straight connections(DP to DP)? Does the issue persist?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
EBlom
Beginner

Hi Amy

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have a second monitor with a DP connection. But I could test with another monitor, perhaps this one doesn't like to obtain a converted DP signal.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you can do that, give it a try.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
EBlom
Beginner

Hi Amy,

I tried with another VGA monitor (Syncmaster 710N). I don't understand why the same cable connection does work when I remove the cable and plug it back in. I still think the display will play a role in the fact that the 2nd VGA screen isn't properly initialized.

Best

EJ Blom

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

EJ Blom, thank you for coming back.

From your second test, I can confirm that the issue relies on the cable you have. Liked mentioned before you are converting a digital signal to analog signal, this will always be the same principle even though you test a different VGA monitor. The only recommendation in this case it to use straight connections, doing so I can confirm that it should not be any problems.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
EBlom
Beginner

Hi Amy,

I finally bought a second monitor that suports display port as well as mini-displayport to displayport cable. I can confirm that this combination works perfect. Thanks for the support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

EJ Blom, that is really good to hear!

It was my pleasure helping you, hope you can enjoy you Intel® NUC Kit and the new monitor.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos