Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Takes long time before connected after starting up

KKlov
New Contributor I

I have 2x SSID, one for 2,4GHz and one for 5GHz.

2,4GHZ always shows up instantly, 5GHz on the other hand usually takes a while, some times several minutes, and once in a while (rarely), i just have to boot the computer before it will eventually show up after some waiting. It's always been like this as long as I can remember. OS reset does not fix the problem, nor booting router/modem.

I have a surface pro 2 that doesn't have the same problem after starting up. I also have a third computer from work that I bring home some times and that does also not have this problem.

Just took the time, from boot it took exactly 4 minutes and 40 seconds before 5 box showed up. As mentioned before it varies how long it will take. Sometimes it seems to be almost instantly or max 10-20 seconds.

Problem computer (custom build)

Intel 7260 AC

Windows 10

Driver version 17.15.0.5

Driver date 22.02.2015

Also added: ScanWhenAssociated (DWORD 0) to the 7265 registry container to avoid spikes. I think this setting is for disabling wifi roaming.

I just recently upgraded this to version 18.33.3.2 (date 03.05.2016) with no sign of improvements.

Link score (inssider): 100

4/4 bars (system icon)

Surface pro 2 (no problem on this computer)

Marwell network card

Windows 10

Link score: haven't checked.

3/4 bars (system icon)

Problem computer number 2 - Work laptop (HP)

Intel 7265 AC

Windows 10

Driver version 18.32.1.2

Driver date 30.12.2015

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jorg1,

As we understand, your computer uses the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and when it boots, your 5 GHz network takes a long time to show.

- The main recommendation we can provide is to apply the configuration from the following advisory: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity

Additionally, change the following in the Advanced settings:

Preferred band: Prefer 5.2 GHz band

- Try placing the computer closer to the wireless Access Point.

If the issue persists, please let us know the following:

1. Was this the adapter that came built-in your PC from factory?

2. Have you checked if this happens with other 5 GHz networks?

3. Computer brand and model.

Regards,

Jonathan
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We haven't seen any updates since the initial post. Please let us know if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan
0 Kudos
KKlov
New Contributor I

I applied your suggestions now, will come back to you. Answers to your other questions are below:

- Try placing the computer closer to the wireless Access Point. -> "Not possible"

1. Was this the adapter that came built-in your PC from factory? -> No

2. Have you checked if this happens with other 5 GHz networks? -> It does not happen to other devices such as Xbox one, iphone 7, surface pro 2. They are all running on a dedicated 5 ghz SSID (2,4ghz turned of on AP).

3. Computer brand and model. -> custom built computer. Motherboard: MSI B150M (bios is updated to newest version) CPU: Intel i5 6500

Should be noted I'm using driver version 18.33.3.2 on Windows 10.

I want to avoid update driver version as long as possible since Intel does not provide a clean driver without software anymore. I wish you could provide such drivers in future.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jorg1,

Please provide the following information so we can determine any further actions:

- Which model of the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 do you own? We could not find a MSI motherboard from their B150M series with a built-in wireless adapter.

- Make, model and firmware version of the Wireless Access Point.

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create and save a report with all sections, then add your reply to this thread and use the Advanced editor options to attach the resulting file to your post.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jorg1,

Please let us know if there has been progress about this issue, or in case you require further assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos