Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Computer crashing on startup with recent versions of HD 4600 driver

AM26
Novice

I'm using the integrated GPU in the i5-4570 (rest of the specs included at the end) through a VGA cable since last summer and it was working flawlessly for weeks with the drivers provided by Asrock (the motherboard) I think I had manually updated them once ever since then, through a direct download from Intel's own website at some point during last year. No problems at all.

Now a few weeks back once again Windows update fails to update to a newer version of the the drivers. I don't pay a lot of attention to it and go on with life but suddenly I get frequent freezes on start-up that force me to manually shut down the computer and are generally solved by going into safe mode and recoveryto an earlier point, sometimes just rebooting it would work. I don't instantly correlate this to the drivers update so I end up formatting in hopes to get the issue solved. I also update the BIOS. Of course, no such luck. Long story short, after a lot of troubleshooting and plenty of installations of both Windows 7 and 8.1 (both 64 bit), and plugging an old nvidia graphic card (that as predicted, fixes the issue) and connecting trough a DVI to HDMI cable (that seems to fix the issue too but that's not an option for my screen) I finally isolate the problem, or so I believe:

Everything works fine under every circumstance or OS possible until the point when the graphic drivers are installed, independently of where I downloaded them from (it happens with Asrock's latest update: that dates back to October from last year, or Intel's latest or other versions released earlier this year) I generally am able to reboot once after installing them before two things occur:

1) Computer freezing on start up (sometimes leading to BSODs like Machine_Check_exception or System_thread_exception_not_handled)

2) Computer is unable to connect through WiFi, puzzling me and leading me in the wrong direction.

Time and time again, both problems are solved once I uninstall the drivers and reboot the computer.

So when I was almost ready to give up on it, I found someone with a similar problem leading me to believe this problem wasn't present in the v9 of the drivers, but introduced at some point in 10.

Lo and behold, I eventually am able to find a version of the driver (9.18.10.3214 to be precise) that is signed a year ago and fixes both problems. TADA!

So I wasted a ridiculous amount of time with something that could have been easily fixed with just reverting to the previous version of the driver, amazing. Luckily enough I didn't go and buy a dedicated graphics card like I was about to, at least it works now even if it is with a year old drivers, which is far from ideal.

Anyway, if there's any further information I could provide to help this get fixed in a newer version of the driver, I'd try to help.

Computer specs:

Windows 7 / Windows 8.1

CORSAIR DDR3 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Samsung 840 SSD Series 120GB SATA3

CPU Intel Core i5-4570

Asrock H87M Pro4

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello a1ngie,

I am really sorry you are having this problem but let me help you with this.

It is very strange and honestly we do not see many cases like this, in fact I personally have not seen a case like this but there are some troubleshooting steps you can do.

Try this:

1. Make sure your motherboard has the latest BIOS update installed.
  2. Disconnect all other components (audio card or video cards).
  3. Update the graphics driver. Here you can download the latest:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3720&DwnldID=23884 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3720&DwnldID=23884

1. Try using just 1 Memory Stick.

In the case you try this and you are still having the problem please attach here your dxdiag report and the graphics report.

How to get it?

Dxdiag Report: Type dxdiag in Start Menu> open> Save> Copy/Paste here.

Graphics Report: Right click on desktop> Graphics Properties> Options> Drop Down Menu> Information Center> Save> Open .txt file created> Copy/Paste here.

Kevin M

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello a1ngie,

I am really sorry you are having this problem but let me help you with this.

It is very strange and honestly we do not see many cases like this, in fact I personally have not seen a case like this but there are some troubleshooting steps you can do.

Try this:

1. Make sure your motherboard has the latest BIOS update installed.
  2. Disconnect all other components (audio card or video cards).
  3. Update the graphics driver. Here you can download the latest:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3720&DwnldID=23884 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3720&DwnldID=23884

1. Try using just 1 Memory Stick.

In the case you try this and you are still having the problem please attach here your dxdiag report and the graphics report.

How to get it?

Dxdiag Report: Type dxdiag in Start Menu> open> Save> Copy/Paste here.

Graphics Report: Right click on desktop> Graphics Properties> Options> Drop Down Menu> Information Center> Save> Open .txt file created> Copy/Paste here.

Kevin M

AM26
Novice

Thanks a lot for your response Kevin, I'll try to follow your advice as soon as I can to see it it's fixed that way (I did update the BIOS and unplugged pretty much everything but the WiFi card and the memory sticks so I'll give that a shot) and I'll let you know how it goes.

AM26
Novice

After trying disconnecting the WIFI card, I was able to update the drivers to the latest version and the computer seemed to finally work just fine! Of course I still needed to use the card to connect to the internet and the problem came back the moment I plugged it back in so I rolled back to the old drivers in the mean time as I was able to get a new wifi adapter to replace it with and now that I have, I updated the drivers again and, indeed, the problem seems to be completely fixed. Thanks for your advice!

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos