Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

How do I increase my Dedicated Video Memory?

WSand
Beginner

Is there a way to increase Dedicated Video Memory on Windows 10? I only have 128 MB, but 4179 MB on the total Graphics Memory.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You don't want to do this. It can have more detrimental affects than helpful, It definitely will not increase performance. The Intel HD Graphics driver automatically handles the dedication of video memory and will allocate up to half of the available DRAM if the situation dictates.

...S

View solution in original post

3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You don't want to do this. It can have more detrimental affects than helpful, It definitely will not increase performance. The Intel HD Graphics driver automatically handles the dedication of video memory and will allocate up to half of the available DRAM if the situation dictates.

...S

WSand
Beginner

Well that means my Graphic card is useless with only 1GB of Video Memory. Is there a way to update the Graphics Card?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Huh? We are talking about the graphics engine built into the processor. As I said, you do not need to dedicate any extra memory for this engine; its driver will take care of it itself. If your PC has 8GB of memory, it will use up to 4GB for graphics presentation. If your PC has 4GB of memory, then it will use up to 2GB for graphics presentation.

If your motherboard has a x16 PCIe socket for adding a separate graphics card, you can purchase and install one if you wish. This will leave all of your memory for use by the processor and usually, the external graphics card will provide better video performance. This is not a good time to be purchasing a graphics card, however. There is a severe shortage and prices are super high. People have gone crazy using graphics cards to mine for Bitcoins. Most of them don't make a penny (they mostly just use up a tom of power trying) yet they are trying anyway...

...S

0 Kudos