Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14510 Discussions

Is using single e5 2640 v3 possible?

ВГеор
Beginner

Is there any problems? May i use it on two-sockets motherboard and one-socket motherboard with equal performance?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Vitaly_cdnm,

I understand that you would like to know if there are any problems when using a single Xeon* processor in a dual-socket motherboard, regarding this there are different factors that must be taken into consideration.

First, you need to check the model of the motherboard in question and contact the motherboard's manufacturer to see if the dual-socket unit supports a single processor. If it does then that means that the motherboard will boot and work properly with only one.

Second however, if it does work with the processor you need to take into consideration the difference between the specifications of the dual-socket motherboard vs the single-socket one. This will tell the difference between the performance in each.

Regards,

David V
idata
Employee

Hello Vitaly_cdnm,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ВГеор
Beginner

Dear David

Thank you very much! Is your statement right for all the xeon e5 processors?

There is no one of them which must work in pair?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Vitaly_cdnm,

Thank you for your response,

That is correct, any Xeon* processor should work properly. They do not need to work in pairs, that is only if you want to have a dual-processor but it is not necessary.

Hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ВГеор
Beginner

Dear David

Thank you very much! This is the answer i was looking for!

Additionally i have one more question, and would appreciate if you help

Could there be such a situation that program developer (or vendor) has a strict requirement for the server - that it should have exactly two processors, other way their program product would not work? Or they are wrong, and the correct requirement is, for example, that server should have some amount of processors operating at some frequency?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Vitaly_cdnm,

Thank you for your response,

I would not be able to tell as those are third party applications and it is up to set the requirements to use said software or program.

I apologize for not having the information.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos