Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Restoring Intel Rapid Storage Technology after disk replacement?

FO_Do
Beginner

We have an ASUS PC running Windows 7 that shipped with two Seagate 1.5-TB disks in a RAID configuration using Intel Rapid Storage Technology. The second disk eventually failed, and we just replaced it.

As of now, when we open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app and click on Status, it reports an error "Array_0000 RAIDVOL Degraded. Rebuild to another disk. Details: Fix any problems reported on the array disks, or rebuild the volume to a new disk. Disk on port Unknown: Missing."

To the righthand side, under Storage System View, it lists a disk Array_000, shown as 1.4 TB, and under the same tab is the outline of a disk with a ! error icon and size shown as O GB. All of this is labeled as "RAIDVOL Type RAID 1. 1.4 TB."

Below all that, another disk is shown (presumably the one we just installed) is, which is shown as "Internal disk 1.4 TB." It is shown as Available.

Can anyone tell us exactly what we need to do to restore the RAID 1 configuration between the two drives? We are reluctant to click on "Rebuild the volume to a new disk" for fear of wiping out the data on the first drive. Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello FrankO23,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities Support.

I will be glad to assist you today.

The behavior your are experiencing in your system is expected. User action is required.

As you mention, these are the steps recommended to rebuild a degraded RAID volume after failed hard drive is replaced:

1.Turn on the system.

2.Open the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology user interface. After the operating system is running, click Intel RST in the start menu or right-click the Intel RST tray icon and click Intel RST.

3.Click Rebuild to another disk.

4.Select the new hard drive.

5.Click Rebuild.

In addition, there is no problem with RAID 1. Since it is a mirror, the data will remain. However, we highly recommend you complete a full backup of your data.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Wanner G.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello FrankO23,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities Support.

I will be glad to assist you today.

The behavior your are experiencing in your system is expected. User action is required.

As you mention, these are the steps recommended to rebuild a degraded RAID volume after failed hard drive is replaced:

1.Turn on the system.

2.Open the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology user interface. After the operating system is running, click Intel RST in the start menu or right-click the Intel RST tray icon and click Intel RST.

3.Click Rebuild to another disk.

4.Select the new hard drive.

5.Click Rebuild.

In addition, there is no problem with RAID 1. Since it is a mirror, the data will remain. However, we highly recommend you complete a full backup of your data.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello FrankO23,

I hope all is well.

I am just writing to follow up on your inquiry. Please let me know if you require any further assistance.

I will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
FO_Do
Beginner

Hi Wanner, thanks for checking back. I was actually helping a family member with this. Initially when he tried to follow the instructions he got an error "Drive full." However, he tinkered with it further, and after rebooting he is now getting a statement saying there is now added disk security, and that it is (as of that time) 40% rebuilt. So he believes it is all working out. Thanks again for your help on this.

0 Kudos