Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

Intel i5 8400 cpu graphics and audio disfunction

TAppl
Beginner

Description 'Always'

I repaced my ASUS Maximus VIII Hero mobo with an ASUS Maximus X Hero and my intel i5 6600K CPU with a i5 intel 8400 cpu. which output a 60hz refresh rate in UHD HDR 4K. Since the upgrade the Intel Display Settings only allow refresh rates up to 30hz although the cpu, gpu and TV/AVR are capable of 3840 x 2160 x 60hz.

I had previously removed my 'ASUS Nvidea PH-GT1030-02G' card which ran at 3840 x 2160 x 60hz by default and played audio at 24k x 192 khz with this exact same setup. I have read several similar posts on your site but the fixes refer to processes not obviously visible on my system. You will notice that the HDR slider is not visible on W10 Display Settings.

The digital audio from the CPU is also disfunctional as it will not play 24 bit x 192 khz music although the onboard analogue sound can play 24 x 192 and higher without problems. ASUS says this is the responsibility of the CPU manufacturere and has no fixes for this fault.

Equipment

Panasonic Viera 50EX700 series 4K TV/Monitor EFP single display

Marantz SR 7011 Full 4K TV and upscaler AVR

HDMI 2.0a cables on all connections

Samsung nVMe 240G system hard drive

ASUS Z370 Maximus X Hero Desktop PC

Intel i5 8400 cpu

GPU Intel 630

Latest BIOS, drivers etc.

Only Intel cpu graphics installed

16 Gig Corsair Ram

BIOS version 1003 (latest)

Video Player MPC-HC latest version

Digital sound from intel cpu

Analogue sound from Realteck on-board soundcard

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Tomappleford,

I understand that you are having graphics and audio problems when connecting the unit to a TV. Regarding this, I was reviewing all of the information and in fact everything seems to be fine with the configuration. What I could recommend you to do first is to try to connect the computer directly to the TV instead of the AVR, this is only to test if there is any problem between that connection.

Another step that could be tried if possible is to re-install the operating system. This is because the hardware change made was big and it is always recommendable to have the operating system re-installed fresh when having such big hardware changes.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TAppl
Beginner

Thanks David V. so much for looking into my concerns.

I take on board your suggestion to re-install Win10, it's been a long time since my last clean up. Connecting my PC direct to the TV did not resolve the problems.

Should I reinstall the nVidia 1030 card or re-install the O/S? mmmmm, I will let you know how it goes, for your and anyone else's information.

kind regardes

Tom

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tomappleford,

Thank you for your response,

Yes, the best option so far if the other suggestion did not work is to re-install the Operating System. The integrated graphics should work with the configuration you are trying, whether to install the Nvidia card or not it would be completely your decision, however I can confirm that the integrated graphics should do the trick.

Let us know the outcome please.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tomappleford,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TAppl
Beginner

Hello again David V.

I decided to re-install W10. I was cautious and used the option to re-install without deleting my files and settings. Although W10 seems to be more stable in a few areas that I had some issues with, it didn't solve the Graphics and Audio i5 8400 CPU problem. Still only 30hz and only up to 24-96 k audio playback. I re-installing the nVidia GT 1030 Graphics card and all works as expected. 60 hz graphics and 24-192 audio playback. I feel I should do a complete format / reinstall of W10 and see if that gets the CPU graphics up to spec.

Thanks for the follow up, I will let you know when I re-install a completely clean W10.

regards

Tom

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tomappleford,

I understand that the unit is still not working up to specification after the re-installation. Since you will proceed to do a full format I would like to know the results please.

Let us know the outcome so we can further investigate the problem.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tomappleford,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TAppl
Beginner

Thanks so much for the follow up.

I am resisting a full reinstall as the nVidia GT 1030 is giving all the correct settings. I still intend to reinstall the o/s but the pressure to do it now is off.

I will update you as soon as I am ready.

As I have started to get some BSoD I will reinstall sooner rather than later.

kind regards

Tom

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tomappleford,

I definitely understand your position and since all seems to be working fine with the settings I will proceed to close this request for now. Nevertheless, if you need any more help from our side do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TAppl
Beginner

Hello David V.

I guess the time to reinstall is after the new MS Redstone? update later this month

I will let you know how it goes. I am keen to see how the CPU graphics and audio performs. I have never used on-board graphics before.

Thanks for your input, I am very impressed with your support.

Tom

0 Kudos