Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Centrino Wireless N 1030 problem with W10 Creators Update and Edge Browser.

KSams
Beginner

This is an odd issue (to me) and so long story cut short......

Dell Vostro 3750 running W7, then W8.1 and now W10 for last 12 months plus. Following the launch of the 'Creator Update' to W10 I find I am having an intermittent issue accessing certain sites. The sites in question only partially load taking perhaps 20 to 30 seconds to fully complete. The same delay occurs while navigating the sites. Not all sites are affected, and those that are can often be OK initially in a session with the problem striking at random.

The issue ONLY affects MS Edge browser. Using IE and all is OK.

After much troubleshooting and trial and error it appears that the issue only happens when connected wirelessly. If I use a direct wired connection into either the modem or router (they are two separate items) then the issue does not appear.

I have tested this with both clean installs and upgrade installs of W10 and the issue is the same.

After clean installing W10 I made a disk image to use as a known good start point. W10 was in its basic just installed state. Each time I connect wirelessly the issue appears. Each time I connect via cable the issue does not appear.

I have tried several different driver and driver plus applications and all give the same error. Have also tried older drivers off the Dell site with the same result.

Have also tried connecting to a different router (an older version from my ISP) that I configured as a wireless access point as a test. Same problem.

The issue can be cleared temporarily by either restarting the router, or restarting the PC, or simply closing Edge and leaving it for 30 minutes or so. Closing and reopening Edge in quick succession does not fix things.

All the normal stuff like changing DNS servers and cleaning the DNS resolver cache/temp files etc etc have been tried.

It does seem to be an Creators Edition/Edge/Centrino issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Mooly,

We understand that you're having issues accessing certain sites after installing the Windows® 10 Creators Update.

Normally, we would recommend reinstalling your drivers and applying our recommended settings. However, we noticed that you're using the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030. This adapter has discontinued and is altogether not compatible with Windows® 10.

In this case, our main recommendation will be to return to a supported operating system. We understand that your adapter was (and is) currently working, however it must be doing so by using the generic drivers included with Windows*. This is not ideal, as issues such as the ones that you're experiencing are very much expected, and future update releases could possibly increase the compatibility gap.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005602.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Wireless Products.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000006507.html Customer Support Options for Discontinued Intel® Wireless Products.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Mooly,

We understand that you're having issues accessing certain sites after installing the Windows® 10 Creators Update.

Normally, we would recommend reinstalling your drivers and applying our recommended settings. However, we noticed that you're using the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030. This adapter has discontinued and is altogether not compatible with Windows® 10.

In this case, our main recommendation will be to return to a supported operating system. We understand that your adapter was (and is) currently working, however it must be doing so by using the generic drivers included with Windows*. This is not ideal, as issues such as the ones that you're experiencing are very much expected, and future update releases could possibly increase the compatibility gap.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005602.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Wireless Products.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000006507.html Customer Support Options for Discontinued Intel® Wireless Products.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
KSams
Beginner

Thanks for the reply Carlos. Yes, I am currently using the Windows generic drivers although I did try using other driver/application packages from both Dell and yourselves (for W7 and W8.1). They appear to install OK and showed correctly in device manager displaying the new driver reference. Sadly all seemed to give the same basic problem that I am experiencing.

OK, its not a total disaster as much of the time everything is OK, and even using a different browser is OK.

Appreciate your insight on this... I'll probably hold out and work around this for the time being until I see what bug fixes MS come up with.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Moody,

You're welcome. If you have any further issues or questions, feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KSams
Beginner

Just a little more info on this...

For curiosity I tried a clean x86 installation with everything configured identically to the x64. Results were the same however following last weeks Windows Updates (a new cumulative) I have not experienced any issues at all. There was info from MS mentioning:

Addressed an issue where Microsoft Edge users in networking environments that do not fully support the TCP Fast Open standard may have problems connecting to some websites. Users can re-enable TCP Fast Open in about:flags.

Whether that or some other bug fixes addressed the issue I can't say... other than the fact all is now good and has been for almost a week.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mooly,

Thanks for sharing this update with us. This information should be very helpful to the community.

We'll check in on other similar threads to see if this new set of updates helped with their problem as well.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos