Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

Intel HDGraphics screen freeze when watching video

idata
Employee

Hi

I've got notebook Dell Latitude 3540 and also a problem with graphics. My computer freezes quite often like this:

This problem usually occurs while watching videos on youtube or any other website, but it also happened few times when reading simple webpages in internet. It is quite random - sometimes it occurs after 2 hours, sometimes after 10 minutes, and sometimes my computer also resets.

It occurs in Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera etc. My notebook had originally Windows 7 installed, that I used just for few days and as far as I can say everything worked fine. I noticed this on Windows 8.1, but there was 1 difference - it never occured when using Internet Explorer on Windows 8.1. In windows 10 that I have installed now IE works just the same as any other browser and error occurs.

I tested everthing with Dell diagnostics software and also furmark and there was no errors. I think this is drivers issuse, because when I set my computer to use Windows Basic Graphics Adapter it works fine, but when I switch to Intel graphics drivers problem returns again. I would normally stay with Windows Basic Graphics Adapter, but when I use it I can't change screen brightness and monitor doesn't fully turn off after 15 minutes (It goes black, but there is also still some light on the edges).

I tested this with drivers downloaded from manufacturer website (Dell) and from intel website, but there was no change. Right now I use version 20.19.15.4624, also tried 20.19.15.4531 and few older versions from 2016 and 2015 from dell and intel, but none of theme was ok. I have also upgraded bios, tried to use Flash Player instead of html5, but it's still the same.

It also happend just after few minutes when using MediaCreationTool.exe from Microsoft website to update my os from 8.1 to 10 (until that time I was convinced that only video causes the problem).

Hardware details:

Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Pro(10.0.15063 Build 15063)Physical Memory (Installed):16 GBProcessor:Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2957U @ 1.40GHzSystem Type:x64-based PCSystem Manufacturer:Dell Inc.Disk(s):Patriot Spark ssd 256gb

I have also second notebook with the same parameters (only disk is smaller 128gb and 8gb ram) and there is the same problem, so it is very unlikely that this is a hardware issue, I am nearly sure this is cause by drivers.

Is there anything else I can do or any setting I can change to fix that?

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello aaquillus,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I was reviewing the system configuration and compared to the information from http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/latitude-3540-laptop/Lat3540OM-v1/Specifications?guid=GUID-E315DDBF-4E3A-4547-8172-C47A1A5D8F89&lang=en-us Dell's support site, from the website I found that the laptop comes with some Intel® Core™ Processors but not the Intel® Celeron® Processor 2957U.

Can you please confirm the processor you have is the Intel® Celeron® Processor 2957U in both machines or if you replaced the processor that came with the laptops?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello

I bought this computer as new from Dell authorized seller and I didn't make any changes in its hardware. However, there is a stamp on the box "Dell outlet", perhaps products from Dell outlet have some modifications and may differ from original version. Product was also provided with Dell NBD warranty that I confirmed with official support.

And yes, I can confirm that there is Intel Celeron 2957U inside it - I checked it once again on computer properties, bios and with Intel Detection programm.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi aaquillus,

Thank you for the clarification.

I recommend contacting http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04 Dell support as we have been testing these drivers but we haven't seen this issue on any other machine.

It would be interesting to see what Dell has to say regarding this, particularly because the issue appears even with the customized drivers that they offer and validate for this laptops.

Let me know the outcomes of your conversation with Dell, I will look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have already contacted Dell support and they claim that they do not take responsibility for software problems, because this notebook was originally provided with Windows 7 and any problems that occur in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 are not their concern. This explanation is quite weird because this notebook was also provided with possibility of free update to Windows 8.1 and original dvd installer included. I can always go back to Windows 7, but that would be rather unwise and would result in loss of efficiency.

I would rather switch to linux - i tested it with linux mint 18.1 Cinammon and everything works fine.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello aaquillus,

At this point, the recommendation is to roll back to the supported OS by the OEM, this because the issue you are having seems to be a compatibility issue between your system and the OS.

These drivers have been tested and the issue you are experiencing could also be related to the system configuration, furthermore; the support site for your product specifies that the laptop comes with different processors than the ones currently installed.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello aaquillus,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi

Yes, I do need assistance, because my computer isn't still working properly. But I suppose you have also no idea what to do with this problem?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello aaquillus,

Based on the information you provided from Dell, I recommend the following options:

Roll back to Windows 7*. Although Intel does provide Windows® 10 drivers for HD graphics for this processor, it appears that Dell has a hardware limitation.

If you want to keep using Windows® 10, test http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html manually installing different graphics drivers until you find one that works.

Test a different OS, i.e.: Linux. Bear in mind that you may have to obtain the graphics driver from another source. Here is a link to Intel's Linux site: https://01.org/linuxgraphics https://01.org/linuxgraphics.

Best Regards,

Juan V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your answer

Hovewer, rolling back to Windows 7 is not an option - I would have to also roll back to mbr and bios instead uefi and gpt, so that would be great loss of efficiency, and I prefer to avoid that.

I tested my computer with Linux mint cinammon v 18.1 and there was another problem, because my computer kept reseting itself and entire system was quite unstable. But I was using Linux default drivers, so perhaps installing another drivers could solve this issue.

Finally, I decided to continue with Windows 10 - I hate that system, but right now I can't see any better option. Testing different graphics adapters might be a good idea.

Tell me, is there any setting in os or graphics drivers that I could potencially be reponsible for this and that I could try to change?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi aaquillus,

Based on the description you provided at the beginning, this seems to be straightly related to any web browser you use, when there is a misconfiguration in the OS or the graphics driver, then, the issue may be present every time in any application, this leads me to think the issue is not related to any settings in the OS/graphics driver.

Best Regards,

Juan V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Not excatly, because as I mentioned in the beginning it happened (and it seems it always does) when I tried to download installation iso of Windows 10 from Microsoft Website using MediaCreationTool.exe, which seems to be rather a simple desktop application than an internet app. As I also mentioned it did not happen while using Internet Explorer on Windows 8.1. I found this problem to occur few times while not using any browser.

So definitely it is not entirely related to browser, it is graphics/os issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello aaquillus,

I would give a try with a different OS and the graphics drivers from https://01.org/linuxgraphics https://01.org/linuxgraphics.

Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos