Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Nails, finger tips tracking using Realsense

VAgar5
Novice

Hello Everyone,

For our augmeted reality application we need to track user's nail, fingerTips. we wantto superimpose nail paints on nails.

does it is possible through use of realsense technology?.

any thought , help around, any one has done similar work .. please help give a direction.

6 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

It would not recognize nails specifically unless they had a certain color or pattern on them. Tracking fingertips is no problem though, as this is one of the finger 'joints' supported by RealSense, and I have done fingertip and thumb-tip tracking in my own RealSense project.

The '2016 R2' version of the RealSense SDK comes with a sample demo called 'AR Mirror' for the Unity game creation engine that shows how RealSense can overlay virtual objects over a real body area such as the hand, keeping the virtual objects aligned with the user's body movements in real-time. The sample comes with the source code so you can learn how to replicate it yourself.

VAgar5
Novice

ok, then any other mechanism through we could track nails, as each individuals has different-different shaped nails.

while i have a thought to paint nails with a specific color and perform color threshold to detect region. what do you think about it?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Tracking the color may certainly be the most reliable way to do it, especially if the nails are long decorative ones that could obscure the camera's view of the fingertip joint.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Vivek. Agar,

Do you still need assistance with this thread?

-Sergio A

0 Kudos
VAgar5
Novice

hey, i am working in color Thresholding mechanism, but not getting expected output. any other mechanism ? to achieve.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Vivek.Agar,

What do you mean you're not getting the expected output, could you share in more detail how you are performing these tests? Please be as descriptive as you can when explaining your testing environment.

We'll be waiting for your response.

-Sergio A

0 Kudos