Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

Which driver version to use?

JTran6
Beginner

Hello Intel Support Community,

My laptop is a Toshiba E45-B4200 with i5-4210U processor and Intel HD Graphic 4400. In the Information Center of Intel HD Graphic Control Panel, the graphic driver version is 20.19.15.4549. However, after I run the Intel Driver Update Utility, it's shown that my graphic driver is "a customized computer manufacturer driver" along with a description next to it: "Installs the Intel Graphic Driver version 15.40.34.4624 for Windows".

So, should I stay with my manufacturer driver or uninstall it and install the Intel driver? Should I contact Toshiba for better answer? I will provide additional information regarding my system if necessary.

Cordially,

Jerome

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

At first i suggest to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/e6bbddb0-9db4-4d88-9063-42c52c79a96e/create-a-system-restore-point create a system restore point before you try anything.

Check in registry if your current driver really uses customisations, e.g.:

HKLM,"Software\Intel\IGFX\UMD\DXVA", "Toshiba Pavp Application",%REG_DWORD%,1

HKLM,"Software\Intel\IGFX\UMD\DXVA\","Toshiba SrcRect WA",%REG_DWORD%,1

If not you can install the current driver build 4624 via "have disk method" as described at:

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-beta-graphics-drivers-surface http://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-beta-graphics-drivers-surface

(ignore prolog about MS surface)

0 Kudos
JTran6
Beginner

Hello Stefan,

The farthest I can search in computer registry is up to "Intel" so I can't tell if my driver is customized like you said. Is there another way to tell? Also, if my driver were customized that I should install the 4624 driver, does this mean that the 4624 driver is better than my existing one? Is there a way to tell which driver is best for my system?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

The farthest I can search in computer registry is up to "Intel" so I can't tell if my driver is customized like you said. Is there another way to tell? Also, if my driver were customized that I should install the 4624 driver, does this mean that the 4624 driver is better than my existing one? Is there a way to tell which driver is best for my system?

Alternatively you can go to c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_*

There you can search in the file igdlh64.inf for text strings named "Toshiba" or "TS0".

Usually newer drivers contain bug fixes or performance improvements, check the change log if there's sth. for your software collection.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mathysjcs,

I understand you would like to know if you should or not update the graphics driver.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

We recommend keep using latest graphics driver Toshiba* provides on their website if the computer is working fine. The graphics drivers we have on our website are generic; we cannot guarantee our drivers will be able to work fine on every OEM system. Usually computer manufacturers customize our drivers to their needs, and if you install our drivers you may lose their customizations.

Let me know if you have or not any other inquiry.

Regards,

Fred
JTran6
Beginner

Hello Fred,

In there lies my concern. The latest graphic driver Toshiba has for my model is version 10.18.10.3412 with file size 142.65 MB. I did attempt to install but the installation wizard informs me that I was about to install an older version of graphic driver, meaning my existing driver is more current. Naturally, I decline the installation and go to Intel to see if there is more up-to-date driver. However, the problem is what I described: Intel Driver Update Utility can't upgrade my drive either because it's a manufacturer's customized driver. I think Window Update in someway updates my graphic driver to be more up-to-date than the Toshiba's version. So, I'm stuck not knowing if my current driver is the best for my system. Do you know what I should do?

Cordially,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mathysjcs,

If current graphics driver is working fine in your computer there is no need to update it. If you are having graphics issues in your computer please reinstall latest graphics driver Toshiba* provides on their website for your computer.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
JTran6
Beginner

Hello,

I apologize but I'm not very informed about this. How do I know if my graphic driver is working properly? I ask because for a certain game which I'm playing has 32-bit and 64-bit client. I prefer the latter because my computer is 64-bit and has 8gb ram. However, the game randomly loses FPS until very recently so I have to switch to 32-bit client which runs fine like 64-bit used to. Is there some procedure I can go through to see if my graphic driver is functioning?

I appreciate your response,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mathysjcs,

Since you are having issues with FPS while gaming then we can try updating the graphics driver. One of the issues graphics driver updates fix is problems with FPS.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

If possible let me know the name of the computer game you are trying to play.

When the graphics driver is working properly you do not get any error message on the screen or graphics corruption or issues with performance (low FPS), etc. Since you are currently having low FPS then that might be considered as a problem.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
JTran6
Beginner

Hello,

The game is Blade & Soul by NCSoft. The system file is attached as you instructed. Besides low fps, the 64-bit client crashes within 10 minutes of running. Also, the 64-bit client has about 10-15 FPS whereas the 32-bit client has 20-25 FPS in crowded areas in game. I hope this information can be helpful. I can also provide in-game settings if needed.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mathysjcs,

Thanks for the information you sent to me.

According to our website the game you are trying to play has been tested on Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 and newer graphics controllers. There is a chance the game may not work correctly on Intel® HD Graphics 4400. You may try adjusting game settings, but I cannot guarantee that will increase FPS. This link will give you recommended settings for Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 https://gameplay.intel.com/GamesSettings/8650/0xD22/intel-core-i5-4570r-processor-br-4m-cache-up-to-3-20-ghz- https://gameplay.intel.com/GamesSettings/8650/0xD22/intel-core-i5-4570r-processor-br-4m-cache-up-to-3-20-ghz-

You can also try updating the graphics driver. Please download it from this link https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26682/eng/win64_154034.4624.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26682/eng/win64_154034.4624.zip

As soon as the driver has been downloaded install it using the steps that are on this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KzoQDjMMY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KzoQDjMMY

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

If issue persists I recommend checking with NCsoft if they have validated or not that game for Intel® HD Graphics 4400. This link will give you their contact information https://support.bladeandsoul.com/hc/en-us https://support.bladeandsoul.com/hc/en-us

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
JTran6
Beginner

Hello,

I follow your instruction to download and install the provided software. The result is my graphic driver goes from 20.19.15.4549 to 20.19.15.4624. I believe that's an upgrade? Could you verify this? Also, the latter version number doesn't match the number 15.40.34.4624 of the download file you provide me. Is this something I should worry about?

I have tried logging into Blade & Soul using 64-bit and the FPS is back to before. Though, I didn't stay in-game long to confirm the long-term stability.

Lastly, I believe you provide the latest graphic driver for my laptop. So, do I use Intel Driver Update Utility or consult Toshiba for future graphic driver upgrade? Do you have any advice on graphic settings in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel to maximize gaming performance, i.e best possible FPS?

Thank you,

Update 1: The problem with 64-bit is in fact not fixed. I have addressed the issue with NCSoft technical support. However, I welcome additional advice you may have. Also, the driver you instruct me to download and install causes, if I'm not mistaken, image tearing. I have a video recording of my screen when playing a different game if needed. The issue wasn't there with the older driver. I have tried to roll-back to my old graphic driver, test the game, then reinstall the driver you provide, and test the game again to confirm that the issue is related to the graphic driver upgrade. I'm sorry for posing so many questions and problems but do you have solution?

0 Kudos
JLe8
Beginner

If you want to remove the Manufacturer driver to install the

latest Intel Graphics Driver follow these steps:

1. Download the latest graphics driver from Intel

(the.zip not the .exe) be sure to download the correct one.
  2. Extract the .zip with the driver to a new folder

on your desktop.
  3. Uninstall the Manufacturer Graphics Driver:
  4. First disconnect yourself from the internet by

turning airplane mode on.
  5. (W-10) Right click Start, select Settings,

select Apps.
  6. Scroll down the programs list and uninstall your

Intel HD graphics. (do not restart).
  7. Right click Start, select Device Manager, Select

Display Adapters, right click Intel HD Graphics and select Uninstall Device. Mark

the box (delete the driver software for this device) and uninstall.
  8. Restart your computer.
  9. (W-10 will install its own Basic Graphics

Driver) Right click Start, select Device Manager, select Display Adapters,

right click the Basic Graphics Driver, select Update Driver.
  10. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
  11. Click Browse, select the folder where you

extracted your latest HD Graphics Driver by Intel.
  12. Mark the Include subfolders selection box and

click next.
  13. The basic driver will update to your latest Intel

HD Graphics driver.

Be Happy!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mathysjcs,

For driver updates it is better to contact the manufacturer of the computer. The drivers they provide have been tested and validated to work fine in your specific computer model.

Since our latest graphics driver is causing image tearing the best option would be to keep using older version of the graphics driver.

At this point the best option would be checking with NCSoft technical support if there is any patch or workaround you can use.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
JTran6
Beginner

Hello Fred,

The screen tearing issue occurs with another game of mine, not Blade & Soul, and I fixed it by using Vertical Sync. I will revert back to the old driver if anything bad happens. I will continue to monitor its performance and contact NCsoft if needed. I don't think there is anything else you can help me with in this matter. If you think there is, please let me know.

Though, I have a question. Let say that I am using my old driver, then uninstall that driver and install a new Intel graphic driver. I will use Intel Driver Update Utility for future update because the driver is now Intel and no longer manufacturer's customized version. Is this correct?

Cordially,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mathysjcs,

I am glad to hear you were able to fix the problem you were having.

Yes, if the computer is using a generic graphics driver you should be able to install another generic driver without any problem.

Bear in mind that there is no need to update drivers if the computer is working fine.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos