Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Intel i7 4770K Heat - Data Corruption?

idata
Employee

Hi,

I have an Intel 4770K with stock heatsink (low profile). After moving stuff in the PC something has dislodged and blocked the fan on the cooler. This has caused the CPU to sit around 84-90C. This was discovered about 24 hours later when I went to plug in a new drive and saw the CPU fan wasn't running - which lead me to check the ASUS monitoring software.

I have some very important stuff on the PC - and I made a lot of changes to my files in that time frame. If in theory -- the PC was running at it's thermal threshold, what is the likelihood my data could suffer corruption?

Thanks - M

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What have you done to "unblock" the fan you blocked?

Are any of the wiring from the power supply blocking the fan blades?

Have you replaced the fan?

Is the fan still functional (working)?

What makes you think there is data corruption?

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Doc,

I removed the wiring loom that was blocking one of the blades from turning and the fan started up again, CPU cooled to 34C.

While there is no indicators of data corruption - given the important nature of my data I'm just curious if an overheating CPU can cause corruption during read/writes/modifying data or if they simply fail.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I see you modified your original post.

I doubt data corruption. You are probably ok.

Curious, the ASUS monitoring software did not alert you to the fan not spinning or the temperature increase?

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I modified it so it made better sense!

As for ASUS monitoring, it didn't alert me at all!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MJ2,

I agree with Doc; from your last description your system seems to be ok. Intel® processors will shutdown when they reach a risky temperature this as a safety measure.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos