Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

I218-V Wake On Lan broken with Fastboot - Bug

AMill16
Beginner

Hi all

Currently with the all available versions of the Windows 8.1 x64 I218-V you cannot use Wake On Lan if you have fastboot enabled, which is extremely painful.

Specs of system:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

CPU: Intel Pentium G3420

RAM: 8.00GB DDR3 (9-9-9-27)

Motherboard: ASUS Z97M-PLUS

HDD: 500gb WD Black

This is a media pc, which really would make use of fastboot.

I've tried the drivers, all versions available, from the ASUS site:

Intel LAN Driver V12.11.96.1

Intel LAN Driver V19.0.27.0

This new driver from Intel site:

PROWinx64.exe 19.3

BIOS has correct settings to allow wake on lan.

Every single kind of power related setting imaginable to disable management on ALL devices, full power mode ahead. No joy.

No matter what options you use this horrendous set of drivers does not allow wake on lan with fast boot enabled, unlike every single realtek nic based mobo i've ever used.

I doubt that it will be fixed, or if Intel engineers even read these forums. But here's to hoping...

While it works without fast boot enabled, this is not a fixed. Merely a bandaid to the dodgy driver.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vt5
New Contributor I

Hi Stasis, not sure if you've already tried this combination:

1. fast boot - enabled

2. network stack driver support - enabled (under the "Boot" option of Asus Z97M-Plus)

hope this helps.

regards,

Vince

0 Kudos
AMill16
Beginner

Thanks for the response, I should have mentioned in my first post that I also tried doing what you've suggested and this does not work.

To clarify:

Enabling stack driver support under boot options and other options in BIOS does not resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
vt5
New Contributor I

thanks for the update, have you tried using a discreet network adapter to further isolate the issue? how'd you perform the magic packet thru magic packet?

0 Kudos
AMill16
Beginner

Sent magic packet using router tool and through an android function I use daily which works fine with fastboot off, and works fine with fast boot on on every other device I have (this is the only Intel NIC I've unfortunately been stuck with)

I'm considering purchasing another NIC to bypass this issue, a bit ridiculous when Intel should resolve with a driver update.

0 Kudos
AMill16
Beginner

Bump

Any intel engineers check these forums?

0 Kudos
Richmond_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Stasis,

Sorry for the delay. I got this from our engineers:

Instructions for Enabling WOL in FastStartup

**Currently Supported On: Intel® i217/i218 w/Clarkville SW6 PV Driver**

Following are the changes required, for Intel® PHY/LOM products, to support WOL in Fast Startup:

• Enable LOM driver by setting registry "WakeOnFastStartup" to 1

• View "ReadMe-WakeOnFastStartup.txt" to use theWakeOnFastStartup.bat file correctly

• Add a write in BIOS in IO space of ACPI, register GPE0a_EN in (Base address* + 0x28), set bit 13, PME_B0 Enable

**IO space base address of ACPI can be found in PCI device 31, Function 0, offset 0x40.

Additional Notes:

• After Enabling LOM driver by setting registry

"WakeOnFastStartup" to 1, the BIOS will set this bit whenever the system goes to S5 Fast Startup.

• System does not need to check for driver WOL setting because the driver will always configure WOL based on the above registry change

• If the user disables the WOL capability in the menu, no issues should occur since the driver won't configure any filter in the PHY.

• An external power supply to the LAN is required on FastStartup if WOL is enabled.

Thanks,

Rich

0 Kudos
AMcLe6
Beginner

Hi,

I have a very similar problem and am struggling implementing with rosiao's answer.

Specs of system:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU: Intel Core i5

RAM: 8.00GB DDR3

Motherboard: ASUS H97M-PLUS

SSD: INTEL SSDSC2CW180A

This is a office pc which needs to WOL for its nightly remote backup and I would really like it to "fast start-up".

I have the most up to date Intel LAN Driver V12.13.17.4

With "fast start-up" off WOL works perfectly. With "fast start-up" on WOL refuses to work.

I have tried to follow these instructions:

• Enable LOM driver by setting registry "WakeOnFastStartup" to 1

• View "ReadMe-WakeOnFastStartup.txt" to use theWakeOnFastStartup.bat file correctly

• Add a write in BIOS in IO space of ACPI, register GPE0a_EN in (Base address* + 0x28), set bit 13, PME_B0 Enable

**IO space base address of ACPI can be found in PCI device 31, Function 0, offset 0x40.

I have successfully setup the registry, but can not find "ReadMe-WakeOnFastStartup.txt" on the internet and do not understand how to "Add a write in BIOS in IO space of ACPI, register GPE0a_EN in (Base address* + 0x28), set bit 13, PME_B0 Enable". However, if I have understood "After Enabling LOM driver by setting registry "WakeOnFastStartup" to 1, the BIOS will set this bit whenever the system goes to S5 Fast Startup." correctly a reboot will cover the rest of the instructions.

I would be grateful for some help with this issue.

Many thanks,

theduck01

0 Kudos
scera
Beginner

Same problem with

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-LM

on Gigabyte Brix GB-BKi5(H)A-7200

Using driver 12.15.23.9

Intel(R) Ethernet Flash Firmware Utility

BootUtil version 1.6.39.1

Copyright (C) 2003-2017 Intel Corporation

Type BootUtil -? for help

Port Network Address Location Series WOL Flash Firmware Version

==== =============== ======== ======= === ============================= =======

1 1C1B0DBC22F7 0:31.6 Gigabit N/A FLASH Not Present

Of course I read https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005793.html https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005793.html

I have set WakeOnFastStartup to "1" (enabled)

Brix BIOS F5 has very limited options

With Fast Startup DISABLED WoL works as expected

If I enable Fast Startup there is light on the card stays at Power Off, but WoL does NOT work!

So the only option is to disable Fast Startup (not ideal)

Anybody has any constructive ideas?

Seb

0 Kudos