Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

Keep integrated graphics active without monitor connected?

LLB
Beginner

Hi. From what I've been able to gather, my CPU's (i7 3770) integrated graphics won't kick in without a monitor connected. The way I've worked around this is by using Microsoft's RDP which apparently makes the integrated graphics kick in. Under screen resolution on my Windows 8.1 machine I can see that before I connect with RDP it says "Display device on: VGA" and after I connect it says "Unknown Monitor on RPUDD Chained DD". I am not able to physically connect a monitor to this machine, nor a dummy plug, and so I am looking for a way to keep my integrated graphics on even outside of RDP. Currently the application I am running on my machine, a 3D accelerated one, will stop functioning correctly when I quit my RDP session and the display reverts back to "Display device on: VGA".

So the question is if I can keep the integrated graphics on my CPU functioning even without a monitor connected, when the display shows as "Display device on: VGA".

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Dockson, I would like to inform you that we have received similar issues when using a NUC device. Please check the following URL for additional information http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034652.htm Intel® NUC Boards and Kits — Remote access to Intel® NUCs

Intel graphics are going to be always active even though there is no display attached to the system. The only way you can disable our graphics is going to be by installing a video card on the PCI slot.

Which is the model number of the motherboard you are using?

0 Kudos
LLB
Beginner

Asus P8H77-M Pro is the motherboard on the server. The issue you linked seems to be a perfect fit for my symptoms. Thank you for the help sylvia.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

You are more than welcome Dockson.

0 Kudos