Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 driver + external monitor problem

VPrie
Beginner

I'm using a Samsung Series 9 ultrabook that has an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 graphics card and I'm running Windows 8.1.

My current driver version for the graphics card is 10.18.10.3304 (9/9/2013). SW Update claims that's the latest version, Intel's site claims it's not (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24329 Intel® Download Center, v15.33.29.64.3945, 09/26/2014). So I download that version, only to find that the installation gets aborted because it's not the right one? The error message says something about Samsung-specific drivers, only it's not visible long enough for me to read/make a screenshot.

I could continue using the "old"(?) version, where it not for a problem with an external monitor that I believe this driver is causing: I'm using a micro-HDMI to HDMI cable to connect my laptop to an LG Electronics Flatron W2442PA-SF, 24'' external monitor. The problem is that the laptop doesn't detect the external monitor.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Veronika

It appears your system has Samsung customized Intel HD Graphics driver installed on it. Samsung has made modifications to the generic Intel HD Graphics driver to run specifically on your system. They usually make changes to the driver for functions such as power management and other performance features. It is possible to install the generic Intel HD Graphics driver on your system however, you will loose the Samsung specific customizations. Yow can always try the generic driver to see if it works OK for you and just re-install the custom Samsung driver if it does not. Download and extract the zip version of the latest generic driver here, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24329 Intel® Download Center

Here are the steps to install the generic Intel HD Graphics driver. Follow these steps exactly.

1. Login with administrator privileges

2. Open Control Panel

3. Open Device Manager

4. Click on "Display adapters"

5. Double click "Intel HD Graphics"

6. Click on the "Driver" tab

7. Click on "Update Driver" button

8. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software"

9. Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

10. Click on "Have Disk" button

11. Click "Browse"

12. Navigate to the folder that you unzipped the generic Intel HD Graphics driver to

13. Navigate to the Graphics sub-folder

14. Double click the igdlh64.inf or igdlh.inf file <-- depends on if you have 32 or 64 bit OS

15. Click "OK"

16. Click "Next" Driver should now be installing.

17. If successful, click "Close"

18. Reboot.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
VPrie
Beginner

Hi Robert,

thanks for your quick reply!

step # 14 problem:

Unfortunately, I only see one .inf file in the Graphics folder, and it's called "kit64ics.inf". What should I do now?

Kind regards

Veronika

0 Kudos