Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Win7 wireless network icon missing - Intel wireless AC-7260.

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have a Toshiba Z30 with Intel Dual Band wireless AC-7260.

For some reason, I do not have any Network notification tray icons in Win 7 and I am wondering if it isn't due to Intel. I can see the icon when I click on customize - turn system icons on or off - but the dropdown menus for these 2 icons are inactive (greyed out). I posted about this on a windows forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/action-center-and-network-notification-tray-icons/acf0ec19-7f02-4487-9226-df120a983c77?page=1 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/action-center-and-network-notification-tray-icons/acf0ec19-7f02-4487-9226-df120a983c77?page=1

Some related problems: When I go to "Control Panel - Network and Internet" and click on "Connect to a Network" nothing happens. Similarly, if I go to "setup a new connection or network - connect to the internet", and click on "wireless", nothing happens and the window closes (if I pick broadband etc, it continues fine). Also in "manage wireless networks" I am unable to delete any network (nothing happens when I click on delete).

I just realized the consequences of not having a network notification tray icon: I can't actually connect to any new wireless network!

I am wondering if there isn't an Intel app or similar mysteriously taking the wireless management over, without displaying anything. I have the Intel ProSET/wireless tools but this doesn't allow me to see and select available networks. Or is there an intel wireless manager that I can download for Win7?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello seb3343,

The Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software is not capable of disabling the Notification and Tray icons by itself.

You can actually use Intel® PROSet/Wireless Advanced Enterprise Software to manage your Wireless connections, but it will work together with Windows Network management.

Even if the Enterprise software is installed, you will still have the standard Network icon in the tray, as seen in the following picture:

This may be a problem in the Operating System, however, you can discard any issue from the perspective of the Intel driver, and at the same time, install the Enterprise package to check if it will let you manage the wireless connections by following these steps:

- Downloadhttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24651 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Administrators, version 17.14.0 (latest as of 3/30/2015). Select the file according to your version of Windows 7.

- Go to Windows Programs, and Uninstall Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software Drivers if it is already installed.

- Go to Windows Device Manager - Network Adapters, right click on the AC 7260 and Uninstall it, make sure to mark the option "Delete the driver software for this device".

- Reboot you computer, then run the installer of the IT Administrator package you downloaded before, select the option to "Customize" and make sure to install the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Advanced Enterprise Software.

Let us know if this helps with the issue.

idata
Employee

Thank you for the rapid and detailed answer.

I followed your instructions and I can confirm that the Intel ProSET software allows me to see, select and connect to the different wireless networks. It doesn't solve the Windows issue, as you expected, but it is at least a good temporary fix.

Thanks!

0 Kudos