Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel InTru 3D & Display Port

SSyny
Beginner

Hi everyone!

I have processor i3-3220 with intel graphics hd 2500 (intel intru 3d included).

Right now i want to buy 3D active monitor. Main goals are: watch 3D BD, movies and photos (without gaming).

I've read a lot of information about 3D in general and Intru 3D in particular.

But i have a few questions about this.

As i understand i'm able to organize 3D playback using HDMI v1.4. It's recommended in Intel's http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034162.htm technical description.

An HDMI-to-HDMI or a Display Port-to-HDMI connection to the TV.

A connection to a stereoscopic 3D TV that supports HDMI 1.4.

But in this variant i'll only get Frame Packing mode 1080P@24 Hz via HDMI cable.

Or I will be allowed to watch 3D content using Side by Side method.

There is https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/m/d/4/1/d/8/Quick_Reference_Guide_to_3rd_Generation_Intel_Core_Processor_Graphics.pdf another description. I saw that there is no information about connection with Display Port, although in the https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics newest description we can wee that information.

So the questions is - Is it possible to organize Frame Sequential 3D mode using Display Port cable and to achieve full hd 1080P@120 Hz?

Can Intru 3D technology transfer frames at 120 Hz to the monitor using Display Port in order to get 3D Frame sequential?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I see you have an Intel® HD Graphics 2500, this is 3rd generation graphics, there is Blu-ray Stereo 3-D Disc Playback passive glasses and HDMI 1.4.

Besides the 3D support through HDMI port, the maximum resolution you can get is 2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz.

I was not able to find information about 1080 at 120Hz.

See below for more information:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/3rd-gen-hd-graphics-quick-reference-guide 3rd Gen HD Graphics Quick Reference Guide | Intel® Developer Zone

Allan.

SSyny
Beginner

Big big thank you AlLan for your answer.

As i understand 3rd generation graphics support both active and passive glasses whereas 2rd generation graphics can support only active shutter glasses.

But anyway about 1080p at 120 Hz... This is exactly what I want know. Because I am hesitating buy that monitor or not right now. So please Allan, would you be so kind ask some technical engineer about this opportunity? I would be so grateful. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

When I wrote that I was not able to find 120hz for Intel® HD Graphics 2500, I meant that I did not find the information on the document or URL I sent you on my previous post.

I know the Intel® HD Graphics 2500 does not support 120Hz. It is 1080p at 60hz.

Allan.

0 Kudos
SSyny
Beginner

Thank you again, Allan. I understand that unavailability of a 3D frame-sequential mode 1080p@120 Hz is an undocumented feature. You, other guys from technical support, engineers know about it. It's clear.

You said that Intel® HD Graphics 2500 does not support 120Hz.

1. Is it means that Intel® HD Graphics 2500 does not support 120Hz via Display Port also in 2D mode ?? Because it's an important advantage of active monitor for me.

2. And I have one more question regardings formats of 3D.

Will it be possible to watch 3D content using Display Port or HDMI:

in Frame Packing mode 1080p/24 Hz?

and Side-by-Side mode 1080p/60Hz?
0 Kudos
SSyny
Beginner

Excuse me, Allan for reminder, but could you answer my previous question, please? I would be very grateful.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Based on the product specifications, I know that Intel® HD Graphics 2500 does not go up to 120Hz.

3D feature is available only through HDMI port, using Display port it might work; however, this is not documented for your graphics controller.

I recommend waiting for another community member to post information about the support for frame packing mod and side by side mode.

Allan.

0 Kudos