Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

E5-2603 v2: Hyperthreading?

JSirr
Beginner

Gentlemen,

I have 2 systems that have E5-2603 CPUs. To my surprise I have noticed an error with the Intel ARK.

http://ark.intel.com/products/76157/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2603-v2-10M-Cache-1_80-GHz ARK | Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2603 v2 (10M Cache, 1.80 GHz)

If you look closely it clearly shows a CPU that is 4-core, 4-thread and Hyperthreading is not supported.

However, in FreeNAS 9.3 I am clearly finding a 4-core, 8-thread CPU.

# sysctl hw.model

hw.model: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2603 v2 @ 1.80Ghz

# sysctl hw.ncpu

hw.ncpu: 8

Being that we just had a discussion about ECC support being listed in the Intel ARK, and after more than a year for many to find these kinds of errors ( ) is someone considering doing an audit of the ARKs? I'm starting to feel like the ARKs just don't have the solid foundation to trust the information provided that they really need to have for potential customers. If I can't trust the information in the ARK, where should I be getting my information?

Just with the ECC issue alone, that was a major setback to a huge part of our userbase (FreeNAS forums). I can't even tell you how many users built their servers based on the ARKs (and our recommendations, which were based on the ARKs). I have no doubt that there's 100s (if not 1000s) of our own userbase that are now using systems that don't have ECC support despite them thinking they would when they built their systems.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Would you please run the bootable version of Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and share a screenshot with the results?

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm Processors — What is the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool?

0 Kudos
JSirr
Beginner

Just to update this for anyone that reads this topic in the future... the CPU is a 4-core and 4-thread CPU. The system has 2 processors (I somehow forgot this simple fact).

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi cyberjock, thanks for the update and clarification.

Regards,

0 Kudos