Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

intel HD Graphics Control Center does not detect monitor. It shows no monitors at all to select.

RKeen1
Beginner

My system does not detect my monitor and always reverts to a generic VGA type. The intel HD Graphics control panel does not show *any*detected monitors at all.

System: Asus P8Z77PRO - M, i5-3570k, 16gb memory, Win7pro 64bit; Dell u2713hm monitor through Belkin Omniview KVM;

> latest intel hd graphics driver installed; no change

> latest Dell display manager installed: monitor not detected

> monitor *is* detected on other systems connected through the same KVM and exchanged cables, ruling out KVM and cables

> Monitor Asset Manager utilty from entech queries and detects the display properly as a Dell u2713hm, so the KVM, cables and monitor are ruled out; the data can be read

> Windows screen resolution change panel shows the only choice of monitors as "generic non-PNP monitor", and "detect" does not detect a different monitor

My current theory is that something about the intel HD Graphics software is not correctly sensing the monitor's EDID or similar.

Any pointers or other theories?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Gotcher, thanks for joining the Intel Community.

I would like to inform you that we do not support using converters or adapters between the system and the monitors. We cannot guarantee the display will work fine due to this and for troubleshooting purposes we kindly suggest you to do a straight connection between the computer and the monitor you are using.

If you are able to get display without using the KVM, it is possible that your KVM is not compatible with our drivers.

You can also try testing the system using Windows Graphics drivers.

Regards,

JBurr7
Beginner

I am not impressed with the lack of response on the issue. Intel should have ample data to answer you with more authority. It is a very common issue from what I have found, and experienced, personally. Here is an older post that I have found on this same forum:

I have had this issue with my current monitors and a predecessor. I believe it is the signal as noted in this other post; the problem typically happens when a machine is started while the KVM is switched to another port. A signal loss (or lack of signal) sounds plausible.

I have seen other concerns with regards the cable (VGA in my case), and that perhaps the cable is interfering (with the signal?) But I have several VGA cables that I have used over the years and cannot say there is any improvement with one over another. (Yes I have had several years of issues)

I have found no permanent solution. But if I am more regimented in how I start (and perhaps shut down) my machines, I have less frequent occurrence of the problem.

First, I only start a machine if the KVM is first switched to output to that machine's port. I do not switch to output to the other port, until the first machine is up and running. And similarly, I do not start that other machine until I have already switched the KVM to output in that direction. Lastly, for the infrequent situation where I do shut down, I make sure to keep the KVM output to the port until the shutdown is complete. I also have had similar issues when sleeping or hibernating, so I attempt to follow the same regimen as well. This is all too mechanical for me, but it is the only way that I have been able to prevent most of these situations.

I also find that there is a signal generated when I switch. For instance, if the target machine has a login prompt displayed, say, when it becomes the active port, there is a burst of garbage sent in what the target machine interprets as key presses. So this signal scenario is again plausible with regards to the KVM and the selected port. I suspect that my very old Belkin 2-port KVM (10+ years) is to blame. Perhaps it does not fully support the 1600x900 and 1920x1080 resolutions on which I have experienced the greatest challenges. Or, perhaps it just does not send the necessary signal(s) (DDC/DEID?) on the inactive port, that the Intel graphics needs to honor the handshake, when the KVM is directing its output to another port. But despite the quirks, the Belkin continues to provide the great benefit of multiple machines making use of the same keyboard, monitors, mouse and speakers. So I do not intend to investigate a replacement. I just continue to beat the dead horse.

0 Kudos