Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

april fools i7 cpu is a pentium

JGome23
Beginner

I just got my new 4790k today and after installing my new computer the cpu readf in the bios pentium g3850 haha funny april fools no but seriously no i7 the box says i7 even the outside of chip says i7 but bois clearly reads pentium only 2 cores

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi Starscream, may I ask where did you purchase it from?

Can you share a picture of the processor?

0 Kudos
JGome23
Beginner

amazon directly from Amazon not other vendor I just orderEd one from new egg hopefully this is just a Amazon issue I can take a picture but I think a video would make more sense I can show the bios running a pentium g 3258 than pull my heatsink off show on the top of the cpu 4790k

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may also try checking the required BIOS version for this processor in the motherboard manufacturer's website and update it if needed.

JGome23
Beginner

the board I'm running is asus z97 a I thought of this and updated to the latest from asus and still showing in bios pentium

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Try resolving this issue with the seller. Please let us know about the outcome.

0 Kudos
JGome23
Beginner

Today I got a new 4790k from new egg and it appears that this is actually the 4790k.Im still a bit nervous.i noticed in hard ware monitoring that there is only 4 cores showing I thought the hyper threading shows up as 8 cores?

0 Kudos