Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

i have an I5 with the embeded graphics inside it. i upgraded memory but now windows 7 wont boot properly ( it hanngs during the animation ) .

gfort2
Beginner

I was told it could be the graphics driver needs to be updated

is this true? the Cor I family of processors cannot handle more memory without first updating the graphics driver of the CPU?

or is the ICore limited to just working with a sloooow 1333 MHz @ 4 gigs of ram???

Crucial told me it could be a graphics issue

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The graphics driver should not be affecting if the only change was the memory upgrade.

Can you indicate the exact model of your system, the processor, and the memory part number or specifications?

0 Kudos
gfort2
Beginner

it is a Gigabyte gah-55-USB3 with a Clarkdale I3 - 540 - 3.06 Ghz.. I'm running Windows 7 x 64

Memory : ADATA ( brand new) 1600 Mhz, 512 x 64. Capacity: 8 gig kit ( 2x4gigs each) = 16 gigs ( 2 kits of the same Adata).

Adata Model # :AX3U1600W4G9-DB

Crucial has memory identical to ADATA's. Theirs passes their compatibility test so I don't understand why Adata's wont work

I tried resetting the BIOS. underclocking adjusting the latency above or lower than the memory spec

I noted that on Gigabyte's site it said :" do not use ICore 3, Icore5 or Icore 5 with HD Graphics if over clocking or using Memory higher than 1333Mhz.

But below in that list, it says I'm ok to use a CPU with HD Graphics as long as I don't go above 1666 Mhz . So its very badly ambiguous!

I'm wondering if I should disable the HD graphics ( no point in buying a CPU with no graphics like the Lynnfield CPU).

If I disable the HD graphics and use a discrete graphics card, could it work?

With the memory upgrade, it boots all the way up to the Window's menu ( where it asks, boot normally or launch repair). It boots normally but just before

the animation starts ( the red, green yellow swirling images), it freezes.

I noted I might of answered the POST Bios wrong. it did ask me if I wanted to boot in AHCI or IDE mode, in a hurry, I kept answering yes boot in IDE mode, so im wondering if its because its booting in IDE Mode.

Either way, when I put the 2 x 1 gig sticks back, the Corsair. It boots normally without any effort

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The Intel® Core i3-540 supports up to 1333 MHz at 1.5 v. Selecting the incorrect SATA controller mode (AHCI/RAID/IDE) in BIOS will also cause boot issues with your operating system.

http://ark.intel.com/products/46473/Intel-Core-i3-540-Processor-4M-Cache-3_06-GHz http://ark.intel.com/products/46473/Intel-Core-i3-540-Processor-4M-Cache-3_06-GHz