Items with no label
3335 Discussions

The installer failed to detect an Intel(R) RealSense 3D camera on this system.

DColl11
Beginner

I purchased and received a RealSense R200 3D camera two days ago (Monday 13th of Feb).

Prior to that I had been checking out a friend's R200 camera. His camera was recognized by my Lenovo W530 laptop (running Windows 10) without issue. I was able to install the Depth Camera Manager R200 and his camera worked just fine.

I now attach my newly acquired R200 camera to the same USB 3.0 port and the Depth Camera Manager does not recognize the camera. When I unplug or plug in my newly acquired R200 camera, a green light momentarily flashes on the camera and the previously installed software momentarily recognizes the camera, but then the recognition quickly disappears.

I have since uninstalled the software associated with the R200. However, when attempting to reinstall the R200 software using intel_rs_dcm_r200_2.1.27.2853, I get the following (3 line) message:

Intel(R) RealSense Depth Camera Manager R200

Prerequisite Issues Summary

! The installer failed to detect an Intel(R) RealSense 3D camera on this system. The installation was terminated.

By the way:

Device Manager lists under Imaging devices:

Integrated Camera

Intel(R) RealSense(TM) 3D Camera (R200) Left-Right

Intel(R) RealSense(TM) 3D Camera (R200) RGB

USB Video Device

Please advise.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Have you tried the trouble-shooting guide posted at the top of the forum's front page?

If the information in that link does not help to solve your problem, please comment here again and we can try to work through your problem. Thanks!

0 Kudos
DColl11
Beginner

Yes, I did all of the (relevant) things contained the trouble shooting guide. None of it helped.

Perhaps, I should repeat some relevant points from my first message that may have gotten missed in your initial read:

• I had used a friend's R200 camera on this very same computer.
  • I had used a friend's R200 camera plugged into the very same USB 3.0 port

Your trouble shooting guide:

1. Yes, it meets the requirements (remember, my friend's R200 worked while connected to my computer)
  2. Yes, it was plugged into a powered USB 3.0 port (the very same port I plugged my friend's R200 into)
  3. Yes, downloaded and ran. All chipsets are up to date (again, my friend's R200 worked on my computer)
  4. I don't have an external USB 3.0 hub (but my friend's R200 worked here nonetheless)
  5. Following those steps: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft) doesn't have a "Power Management" tab (but my friend's R200 worked here anyways)
    • I disabled every power saving box within a USB Root Hub (x3) and a Generic USB Hub (x2) that had a Power Management tab.

Why would another R200 work on my computer, but not this newly acquired one?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

It may depend on how old your friend's R200 camera is. There have been two versions of the R200's circuit board, the original one and a smaller version. I do not know if they changed the board in the developer kit version with a casing (the revised version was designed for smartphones), but if it was changed, that might account for why one worked and the other has problems.

http://notebookitalia.it/images/stories/intel_realsense_3d_camera_2014/intel_realsense_3d_camera.jpg http://notebookitalia.it/images/stories/intel_realsense_3d_camera_2014/intel_realsense_3d_camera.jpg

As a next step, I recommend typing 'camera explorer' into the text box on the bottom of your Windows screen (next to the button where you shut down) to find the Camera Explorer application. Please open it and see if your R200 is listed in it. If it is, please click on the listing and see if you can use the tool to test the functions of your camera. Thanks!

0 Kudos
DColl11
Beginner

Thanks Marty,

I appreciate the comments about different boards. Our camera's look almost identical.

His camera:

Order # : http://click.intel.com/sales/order/view/order_id/48851/ CLK00209389

Order Date: September 9, 2015

Yes, I search my computer through file explorer for "Camera Explorer." Nothing regarding the R200 showed. The only file was my owners manual for the Lenovo W530.

What do you suggest next? Thanks!

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I remembered a somewhat similar case where one R200 worked with the Unity game creation engine and the other did not. In that case, the user solved the problem by doing a forced update of their camera's firmware (which is normally installed during the DCM installation process).

https://gist.github.com/Ashwinning/28d8a608b9d9543617e9 How to force update the RealSense R200 firmware · GitHub

As this is the only time I have heard of a forced update being done of the R200 firmware, I would not be my first recommendation simply because there are not enough documented cases of it to verify what the results may be.

I am somewhat encouraged though that in another post I found, Intel support staffer Colleen Culbertson - who was the main support person on the previous RealSense forums - recommended the same firmware command-line update method that is listed in that article (except without the 'force' extension on the end of the filename).

You can access the command line interface by going to the text box at the bottom of your Windows scree, beside the button where you shut down, and typing 'command' into it.

Somebody else got their R200 working in Windows 10 with the following process:

– uninstalling SDK

– uninstalling DCM

– uninstalling all three R200 drivers in the DeviceManager

– unplug the R200

– reboot

– reopen the DCM installation

– plug the R200

– continue and finish DCM installation

– install SDK (complete install)

0 Kudos
DColl11
Beginner

I completed the following steps:

– uninstalling SDK

– uninstalling DCM

– uninstalling all three R200 drivers in the DeviceManager

– unplug the R200

– reboot

– reopen the DCM installation

– plug the R200

– continue and ...

I get the same (3 line) message as before:

Intel(R) RealSense Depth Camera Manager R200

Prerequisite Issues Summary

! The installer failed to detect an Intel(R) RealSense 3D camera on this system. The installation was terminated.

Then I attempted to update the firmware at the command prompt:

C:\\ProgramData\Intel\Installer\rs_sdk_2014/cache\4504d8e1-6929-11e6-843d-2c44fd873b55\plugins\FWUpdateR200\Bin

... and ran a 1.6kb: FWUpdateR200.exe

... and got the following error message:

Invalid firmware file: .. /Data/DSFirmware/DS4_Firmware.ihex

Well, Marty, what next?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If:

(a) you have tried everything in the troubleshooting guide including updating chipset drivers and it does not work, and

(b) updating the firmware with the command line does not work;

(c) you have tried a powered hub without success;

(d) another R200 works on your computer without problems;

and (e) the camera does not even show in the Camera Explorer application;

then you are likely heading towards the point where returning the camera to Intel to get a replacement camera may be the final remaining option.

0 Kudos
JWilc
Beginner

Sorry to jump in but you mentioned forcing the firmware - is there a method to do that for the F200 (Creative VF0800)? I know it is working, just need to know it's at the latest.

Details at other thread: [/thread/111626 RealSense Communities]
0 Kudos
DColl11
Beginner

Marty,

Please read each question carefully; there is a lot of information in each numbered item. If you would respond to each question individually that would be appreciated.

(1) This camera worked on my friend's Surface (running Windows 10). I was able to swap out his camera/cord for my camera/cord several times. His surface recognized our cameras each time the respective cords were plugged into the same UBS 3.0 port. This test was done in the facial recognition app. This appears to indicate that the R200 is working properly.

(2) I was able to connect my R200 to my wife's HP Elitebook with no problem. HOWEVER, when in Camera Explorer, any attempt to change the resolution in Color Stream or resolution in Depth Stream caused the picture to stop and an error to persist until the camera was unplugged/replugged back into a USB 3.0 port and the app shutdown and restarted. This appears to indicate that the R200 is NOT working properly.

(3) In both my friend's Surface and my wife's Elitebook, under Imaging Devices, the respective Device Managers listed:

Intel(R) RealSense(TM) 3D Camera (R200) Depth

HOWEVER, the Device Manager (under Imaging Devices) in my Lenovo W530 showed:

WHY, is the Intel(R) RealSense(TM) 3D Camera (R200) Depth not appearing in my Lenovo W530?

(4) After installing the SDK on my Lenovo W530 using my friend's R200 (before I bought my own R200), only 6 apps appeared in the SDK sample browser and they were all "beginner" apps. On my friend's Surface, the SDK lists 13 apps.

What is the reason for that difference?

For instance, the Facial Recognition App appears among the 13 apps, but was not available during my first installation (using my friend's R200).

How do I get all of the sample apps?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

1. You were quite lucky that the camera worked on the Surface, as Surface Pros and Surface Books have a history of problems with using the RealSense cameras. I'm glad you managed to use it to confirm the camera's functioning.

2. Research of the freeze-up in the camera explorer indicated that this is symptomatic of an issue with certain USB ports on a device, where that port cannot keep pace with the amount of bandwidth required by the camera signal. Others users found that when this freeze occurred, the camera started working again when - like you - they removed the camera and re-inserted it.

The R200 has crash problems sometimes with some applications when running at 60 frames per second (FPS). Switching the camera to the slower 30 FPS helps to avoid these crashes.

Apart from changing the FPS, the other fixes that worked for people were using a powered hub or putting the camera in another USB port that didn't have a bandwidth problem. You have already tried those two approaches without success though, so the change to 30 FPS may be the next option to try.

3. I imagine that the depth driver not being present on the Lenevo would be a death blow to the camera's functionality on that machine. I was actually doing some experiments with the DCM yesterday before I read this message, and during this experiment the depth driver wasn't working. The DCM refused to install after that without the depth driver being present and working correctly.

One user who was checking their Device Manager during tests found that their camera's Virtual Driver vanished whenever they ran the Camera Explorer, and the camera wouldn't work properly after that. So crash and vanish of vital camera drivers does indeed have an impact. There does not seem to be a clear reason why it occurs on one device and not another.

4. In my own Sample Browser, all of the samples are labeled as 'For Beginners'.

Sometimes, you can accidentally type something into the Browser's search box and it limits the number of samples shown. This filter persists every time you run the Browser until you clear the search box. If it does have a search term in it, it will have an 'x' at the end of the text box. Clicking on this cancels the search term and shows all available samples. Please see if you have this 'x' in your own search box.

0 Kudos
DColl11
Beginner

Marty, I appreciate the detailed responses. Thank you. Once I get back home, I'll focus on getting the camera depth recognized by the Device Manager. What do you mean by a 'powered hub?'

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Oh, I mis-read your original post and thought you had tried a powered hub. My apologies!

On some devices, the USB port cannot provide enough power, or provide it reliably enough, for the camera to function correctly, or at all. A powered hub is an external USB hub that runs off the mains socket instead of being plugged into the device's USB port. Numerous people have found that using one of these got their camera working when it otherwise seemed hopeless.

0 Kudos
DColl11
Beginner
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

It looks like it. I admit I've never seen a picture of a powered hub, so I'd rather recommend one that has a mains plug in the picture. But the listing says it comes with a 5V/2.5A Power Adapter, and another powered hub on Amazon CA that has a mains plug in its picture describes it as a 5V/2.5A Power Adapter. So I guess the one you linked to is correct!

0 Kudos
DColl11
Beginner

HI Marty,

The powered hub allowed my R200 to connect. However, the question remains why did my friend's R200 work on my Lenovo W530 (without a powered hub), but my R200 did not.

Also, I was able to find and install a comprehensive suite of applications for the SDK Sample Browser. However, the Face Tracking, Hand Tracking, User Background Segmentation, and Cursor Mode are not functioning. If you could provide some guidance on how to get those samples working, that would be much appreciated.

Also, the SDK Sample Browser has tabs (near the top of the window): Common Samples, F200 Samples, SR300 Samples, Tools. The SDK Sample Browser on my friend's Surface has those four tabs plus a tab titled: R200 Samples. Can you provide some insight as to why my installation of the SDK Sample Browser does not include the R200 Samples tab?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Glad you managed to connect with a powered hub!

1. The difference between why your friend's R200 worked without trouble whilst yours did not could just come down to being a manufacturing difference. No two devices will be absolutely identical, and sometimes components in earlier models are swapped for different ones that should do the same job. In general, manufacturers know that a small proportion of their devices that come out of their factories will have faults or be "dead on arrival". They even have an 'acceptable failure rate' percentage for the number of their product that can fail without them feeling bad about it. Since the failure rate will never be zero, the goal is instead to minimize it.

2. I never even knew there was a Tools category of the Browser until I maximized my Browser's window just now and it was revealed. You indeed learn something new every day. Have you tried maximizing your Browser window to see if 'R200 Samples' is hidden by a small window?

3. If you are using the 2016 R3 SDK (looking back over the messages, I don't think we discussed which SDK version you were using): the functions that you mention are now installed separately as optional components in R3. If you are using R3 and have not already done so, please return to the SDK download page and install those modules, which are listed below the 'Essentials' module.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-realsense-sdk/download Intel® RealSense™ SDK | Intel® Software

0 Kudos
DColl11
Beginner

Hi Marty,

1) Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

2) When I maximize the SDK Sample Browser, the tab for R200 is still not present. Yes, I did install the individual components after installing the essential components. The optional components that I identified above are the ones that are not working properly. Is there something else that needs to be done to get these optional components working properly?

On my friend's computer, they run from the SDK window. Is there some command line execution or compiling that needs to be done first? I didn't see anything referencing the need to compile in the respective documentations.

3) The very top of the Sample Browser reads:

Intel(R) RealSenseTM SDK Sample Browser

I don't see anything that references: R3. Where would I verify is my copy of the SDK Sample Browser is R3?

Cheers, David

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I could not find a reason why you would be missing the R200 tab in your sample browser or a case where it had happened to anyone else. I just had a thought though. SDK support for the R200 camera stopped at the '2016 R2' version. So if you are using '2016 R3', which does not have R200 support, there would be no reason for R200 samples to be in the Sample Browser installed with R3!

It would also explain why the components that failed to work for you (Face Tracking, Hand Tracking, User Background Segmentation, and Cursor Mode) - i.e no R200 support in SDK R3.

You said that you were not sure whether you were using the '2016 R3' SDK version. If you installed the Essentials module, then you are, because R3 is the first time this module has existed - the SDK was a single full package instead of a series of optional components before R3. So the proper course of action would be to:

1. Uninstall the DCM and SDK 2016 R3.

2. Re-install the DCM.

3. Download and install the '2016 R2' SDK for your R200 camera. You can download '2016 R2' from here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/previous-intel-realsense-install Previous Intel® RealSense™ Install Software | Intel® Software

0 Kudos
DColl11
Beginner

Hi Marty,

I was able to:

1. Uninstall the DCM and SDK 2016 R3.

2. Re-install the DCM.

3. Download and install the '2016 R2' SDK from here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/previous-intel-realsense-install Previous Intel® RealSense™ Install Software | Intel® Software

The picture helped, thanks! The installation of the '2016 R2' SDK says it will be installed in:

C:\ProgramData\Intel\RSSDK

When I get to that folder, I do not have an executable to start the SDK. In that directory are only two folders:

Store

v10

Looking through those folders and the nested folders, I do not see any executable or any icon (that would be pointing to an executable). When SDK R3 was installed, it put an icon on my desktop. '2016 R2' SDK leaves no icon anywhere to be found.

I installed '2016 R2' SDK. Then uninstalled '2016 R2' SDK, and then reinstalled '2016 R2' SDK while rebooting. I can see the scripts the SDK would use (in subfolders in the referenced folder: C:\ProgramData\Intel\RSSDK) when running, but do not see anyway to start the SDK. Can you please help me locate how to start up the SDK R2 now that it's been installed? Thanks!

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The root folder of version R2 should look like this. A common default install location is C:// Program files (x86) / Intel / RSSDK

I recommend you look for the folder location quoted above.

I did a search for the folder location you quoted. This has happened to a couple of other people. There are 2 causes for it:

1. They are looking in C: // Program Files > Common Files > Intel > RSSDK - this is a folder that is also called RSSDK but is not the SDK folder.

or

2. They did not go through the process of filling out the SDK registration form to get an email with a download link.

Regarding how you launch the SDK: it is not something that can be run as a program like Windows. Instead, you create scripts in a 'compiler' program such as Visual Studio and 'compile' them into executable files, like the sample programs that are packaged with the SDK.

If you are not good at programming, the easiest way to get a RealSense project up and running is to use the Unity game creation engine, in combination with the Unity Toolkit provided with the SDK.

0 Kudos