Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530 w/ Asus Z170-A screen corruption

AHyyt
Novice

Okay, so I've been having a persistent issue with my PC, where Intel HD Graphics seems to be misbehaving, sometimes even in basic Windows desktop. After running into a dead end trying to solve the issue, I asked the computer store where I bought the mother board for advice. They directed me to this forum, telling me it's a known issue, and it might not have a solution at all.

So, that gets me here. I have a fair bit of disbelief into the idea that this issue does not have a solution. Surely there must be configurations where Intel HD Graphics 530 works just fine? Otherwise I'd greatly question the rationality of the product.

But let's see where we get here. Here's all the info of my situation:

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

The screen becomes corrupted within seconds or minutes from launching certain apps. Light games (like "Inside") are a good example, or just launching Google Maps (reproduces with Chrome, Edge and IE) is enough to make the screen go haywire. This is the most trivial way to reproduce the issue. Attaching a screenshot from Google Maps as a reference. Basically anything that stresses the iGPU at all seems to make the system more or less unstable, including watching a video.

Occasionally I can see the issue on plain Windows desktop too, but with the current drivers quite rarely. With some driver versions I get constantly corrupted image even on desktop.

When this happens, the graphics driver will also become prone to crashing completely. Usually it can recover, but sometimes it goes into full blue screen situation.

Also it is clearly not a cable issue as I can see vertex explosions; this does not occur inside an HDMI cable. (See the image from Google Maps)

And I have setup every performance setting I can think of to default (Just about everything in BIOS to default basically), so there should not be any potential OC problems (but please review the logs I'm attaching in case you can find something).

Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool tests all pass with flying colors. I will attach the logs.

I have tested with several different Intel HD Graphics driver versions. Currently I am running the latest driver from Asus own support web site, which seems to be the most stable so far. Still far from acceptable.

I have tested with an external video card, and with that the problem goes away instantly.

Also the problem goes away if I set the display refresh rate to 30 Hz, at least with Google Maps. But that is obviously not an acceptable solution. NOTE: This could imply a problem with the HDMI cables, but the character of the corruption does not support this idea. See attached screenshot.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex<span style="font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial, sans-seri...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AHyyt
Novice

This case turned out to be a faulty CPU. Replacing it solved the problem.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Ukkeli,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

First of all, this is not a known issue, this Intel® graphics has been tested several times and we have not been able to reproduce this issue.

You can also, try unistalling the driver and reinstall it http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html manually.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26563/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=88345 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45] , this is newest driver Version: 15.45.14.4590

Is the HDMI cable that you are using high quality cable, with the resolution that you're running, you need a high quality cable?

Is there any adapters involve? If yes, try straight connection from the HDMI on your computer to the monitor/TV.

Also, you can check if there is an INF driver for your monitor or test different monitor if it is possible.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005952.html Monitor .INF and Intel® Graphics

Regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos
AHyyt
Novice

Hi Ivan, thank you for the response.

There is indeed an adapter involved as I stated in the report, but as I also stated, I have effectively ruled out cable and monitor issues, via two routes;

1. Everything works fine at the same resolutions when I use a separate video card

And more to the point;

2. The corruption type is such that it could not possibly occur due to cable issues. If you look at the attached Google maps images, you can see streets stretched around; clearly an issue in rendering process, not a problem in signal integrity. The screen also does stop neatly if I don't move anything around (albeit looks corrupted). With signal issues the flickering would continue on static images too.

To convince you more, I just grabbed another picture (by hitting Print Screen):

That is what my web browsing looked like just now with Spotify Web Player (which easily causes issues) and Youtube running. In this case Spotify seemed to cause the issue, but it corrupted all things Chrome.

You should see easily though that cable or monitor signal problems cannot possibly produce a result like this. Elements on the screen are neatly cut, and it also would not be possible to get a neat pattern like you see on the top left corner.

Also the corruption always ceases to move around if I don't move anything on the screen. It is only when the graphics hardware needs to update any screen elements that the corruption starts to dance around the screen.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that this Intel Graphics is known to work, so I can rule out at least couple of possibilities;

1. A flaw with my software configuration?

2. A flaw with the specific hardware combination I am using?

3. A flaw with the specific Asus Z-170A unit I am using?

4. A design issue with all Asus Z-170A motherboards?

5. A flaw with the specific CPU I am using?

6. A design issue with all i5 6600K CPU's?

7. A design issue with all Intel HD Graphics 530 implementations?

Do you have data about Asus Z-170A specifically, have they been confirmed as working?

Is there any other debug data I could send to you to allow you to pinpoint the root problem better?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
AHyyt
Novice

I tested the newest 15.45.14.4590 driver the other day, but it made the problem even worse. For instance, I was not able to watch videos through Media Player Classic at all because it would crash after couple of minutes of video. The driver version I am using now (the latest from Asus' website, and the one in the original report) is the most stable one I've found so far, and at least allows me to watch videos if I don't touch anything else on the computer at the same time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

At this point, I can evaluate the warranty for you processor, if this is issue still persists with the latest Intel driver that we know that works.

I have sent you a private message to get some personal information.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

At this point, I suggest you to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @14 Contact Support to get a replacement for the unit.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
AHyyt
Novice

This case turned out to be a faulty CPU. Replacing it solved the problem.

idata
Employee

Thank you very much for the information and for taking your time to share with us that the replacement solved the issue.

I hope you can have a better experience with the replacement from now on.

Best wishes,

Ivan.

0 Kudos