Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Which are the main differences between the R200 and LR200 Camera? Where can i find Tech Specs for the LR200?

MCami1
Novice

Hello to everyone. I asked Intel for information about the availability of the R200 camera. They answered me that the R200 is in "End of Life" state. But they've also replied that there is the LR200 that is currently in production. So I'm searching for the LR200 specs and official docs, but i cannot find anything.

That's the only thing i've found:

http://ark.intel.com/products/95558/Intel-RealSense-Camera-LR200 Intel® RealSense™ Camera LR200 Product Specifications

Do you have any newer information or link for the LR200 camera? Thanks!

Massimiliano

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I admit this is the first time I have heard of the LR200, as up til now the only forthcoming cameras I knew about were the ZR300 (the developer kit is due out on 28 Feb) and the R400. So this is very interesting to me.

The development codename for the R200 was Double Spring. And its specs are identical to the listing for the R200, right down to the measurements.

Someone called Gal Avraham who said they were from Intel but were posting with a personal account claimed that "The LR200 is the same as R200, the only difference is that LR200 has image quality improvement, RGB - 1080p and improvement of IR emitter."

An Intel PDFfrom 2016 that is related to the Robotics Kit confirmed that the LR200 is a real thing,

This is my personal opinion, but given that the LR200 seems to already be a well established product (going by Intel PDFs and support for it by the open-source SDK Librealsense), the LR200 is probably either (a) the $169.99 version of the R200 listed on the Intel store (the R200 is also listed on the store at $99.99), or (b) a regional variant of the R200 sold in certain parts of the world.

So in conclusion, it looks like it isn't a new camera, unlike the coming ZR300 and R400.

MCami1
Novice

Thanks. I hope someone from Intel can give us the "official" solution for this problem. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Massimiliano,

The LR200 and R200 are virtually the same except that the LR200 has improved RGB quality and newer IR emitters. Everything else is the same.

I hope this answers your question :)

Regards,

Pablo

0 Kudos
MHans6
Beginner

Hi Pablo,

Can you confirm that we'll get a longer range with the LR200?

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Intel's ARK specification checking website lists the R200 and LR200 as being the same spec in regard to range and resolution.

0 Kudos
MHans6
Beginner

Sorry, I mixed the specs up with the SR300. Range is critical in our application and I was wondering if Intel has a conscious strategy of differentiating its camera modules by range (short/long, as in SR300 vs LR200) and do you expect to have any longer range modules (>3m) in the next 2yrs?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Front facing cameras like the F200 and SR300 have shorter ranges by default (1m for F200, 1.5m for the SR300) compared to the rear-facing (also known as world-facing) cameras such as the R200 and LR200 (which have an average range of 4m). The new ZR300 developer kit camera has a maximum depth scan range of 2.8m, according to its data sheet document.

You can extend the range of the SR300 using the IVCAMFilterOption instruction, at the cost of image quality.

https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v2016r3/documentation/html/index.html?ivcamfilteroption_device_pxccapture.html Intel® RealSense™ SDK 2016 R3 Documentation

In regard to new camera products, the RealSense 400 is due sometime this year. An Intel press announcement about it last year said "The next-generation RealSense [400] camera offers improved accuracy with more than double the number of 3D points captured per second and more than double the operating range compared with the previous generation. Coupled with support for indoor and outdoor uses, RealSense 400 will enable developers to create amazing applications."

0 Kudos