Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD 520 visual lags (stripes/brakes)

AZhyh
Novice

I have a trouble with Intel HD 520 video.

Examples of lag at photoes below:

It doesn't a metter which resolution of video selected and also doesn't a metter wich screen resolution is set.

I try to reinstall video driver (by uninstalling, reboot and install again) to newest one. I also updated BIOS version of my laptop HP EliteBook 850 G3 (T9X19EA) and situation still the same.

Also, my collegue has the same laptop and the same problem.

I can't install driver directly downloaded from Intel website, because installer call errror window with text like "you should install driver for your laptop brand version", thats why I installed from HP site.

Lags also appears when I connect laptop to monitor via display port.

Informoation about system:

HP EliteBook 850 G3 (T9X19EA)

Windows 7 x64

9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello staystrong,

Let me check a more information in regard to this issue, this will help to have a better look at your case;

• Could you please let me know the driver version you are running? Please go to Device Manger> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click on Properties and then go to Driver, you will be able to see the version installed.
  • Does it only happen with YouTube videos?
  • What is the name of the browser that you are using?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
AZhyh
Novice

Hello Amy,

It's a russian localization, but version is readable:

It's happening in every video player, not only in browser. For demonstration I downloaded video viewed earlier on youtube (on screens above) and played in Windows Media Player as a standard player and Power DVD as preinstalled on my laptop. I've got next result:

During a test with Windows Media Player I played video few times and lag appear only one time:

During test in Power DVD lags appear all the time, such as in youtube and other video players:

As a browser I'm using:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for all that information.

You currently have an old driver version, so let's try updating it. This is the latest driver from our end; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26563/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=88355 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45], install it using this method; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows... .The method will ensure the installation, and will bypass the error message you mentioned in your first input.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
AZhyh
Novice

Unfortunately, situation still the same:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

staystrong, thank you for the picture.

Could you please try the following and share the results?

Play any video, while playing the video open Task Manager and screenshot the background, and the CPU usage. I would like to check if there is something on the background causing the lagging.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
AZhyh
Novice

I shut down all unnecessary programs and antivirus real time check. Then I recorded video and have uploaded it on youtube - https://youtu.be/2GVsRTWsOrE intel hd 520 lags. cpu usage - YouTube

Some screenshots from video:

0 Kudos
AZhyh
Novice

Finally I have found the cause of problem. Once again I'm convinced that Windows and HP sucks.

The cause of problem is personalization (theme). I prefer classic theme, that use less RAM/CPU/VideoMemory.

When I switched to default theme - lags disappeared.

https://youtu.be/4bbeJ7lIWDU windows or intel bug - YouTube

I'm sorry the time I spent to find this *swearing*.

Thank you Amy for help!

Intel community at least tried to help me unlike HP community that only ignoring.

If somebody else will face with lags like this, try to make next steps:

1) update BIOS version and reset BIOS settings to default

2) update Video drivers manually, using Amy's advise above in this topic

3) read this: (configure in the Windows 7 energy plan the options of Intel Graphics Settings to 'Maximum Performance'. no matter if it uses the laptop battery or via power supply)

4) switch appearence theme to default windows aero.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

staystrong, I would really like to thank you for sharing your fix with us. To be honest with you the fix you found is so specific that I believe that I would have taken us longer to get there, but I am glad to hear that you were able to track this down. And, of course if there is something else I can help you with, please let me know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
IZima
Beginner

Thank you so much for sharing this solution!

Had the same problem: HP ProBook 650 G2 with Win7 x64 and newest drivers (for the HD 520).

Just changing the theme back to default (aero) fixed it for me.

0 Kudos