Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

My Intel graphics driver might be fake

lwing
Beginner

Recently, I have been having trouble with applications such as Spotify and Skype, where the programs work, but their UIs wouldn't show (the window would be complete blank). Suspecting it to be related to conflict with the Intel graphics driver, I uninstalled it. This temporarily resolved my issue.

However, every few hours, the Intel graphics driver would re-install itself, and my Skype/Spotify/etc would re-encounter the same problem. I have persistently tried to uninstall it, but it would re-install. I have also tried to look at the driver's options menu, but it would always crash the control panel.

I also checked the version of the graphics driver, and found that it says that it's version 21.20.16.4550. This was odd to me as when I googled for the version number, none of the results I got were to Intel websites (and most of the websites looked suspicious). Also, I'm pretty sure that https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26563/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=88355 this is the graphics driver that I am supposed to have on my Asus laptop.

So I was wondering whether the graphics driver on my laptop is real, and if it isn't, how I could get rid of it.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello lap:

In order to un-install the driver what we can do is to get into device manager, look for the option "displays adapters" right click where it says Intel graphics, and select "Uninstall".

Now, when you use a laptop we recommend to use the drivers provided by the manufacturer of it, remember that the Intel drivers are generic which means they might or might not work with your system:

What is the model of the laptop?

Do you know the model of the processor in it?

Which Windows version are you using?

Also, depending on the Windows version you have, I can send you the instructions to disable the automatic driver updates to keep the wrong driver from being installed.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lap:

I just wanted to check if you saw the information we are requesting on the previous thread, and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos