Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

I5 2500K processor dead after a restart?!

idata
Employee

Hello all,

About 11 months ago i bought a new processor and a few days ago I restarted my computer and it didn't start up anymore.

The next day i had vacation so i couldn't exchange things with another computer and ask my brother to exchange my parts with his as he got exactly the same setup. I thought it was maybe my power supply that has gone bad but it looks like it was not this in the end.

Today he did this and send me message that all worked but my processor.

The processor worked in combination with an Asus P8P67 pro and the stock cooler that came with the processor.

The processor was never over-heated, overclocked and had enough cooling paste on it.

My question is, as i did not do anything wrong with the processor, has been used always 100% under normal conditions, does the warrenty apply for this processor?

Do i send it back to Intell here in Holland or to the shop where i bought it from?

Thanks for helping me out!

Martijn
0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Ouch! I have no idea about returns policies (if its an OEM [came in a cheap little box], I think you'd have to ask Intel whereas Retail [came in full Intel branded box] goes to the retailer) .

As for the cause of death - apologies if I sound condescending at all but did you definitely avoid touching the bottom of the processor and avoid touching the processor socket? A little bit of skin-grease could probably stop the processor contacts from making electrical contact with the socket, causing it to appear dead... in which case, both would probably need a clean, but I couldn't suggest how to safely clean them though.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the reply!

For sure i did not touch the bottom of the processor, i always grab it carefully in the corners as in the illustration shows.

There's no cooling paste on the processor either, only on the silver plate (top of processor).

I contacted today my store of purchase and they made a RMA for it.

I'm curious if they can tell me what happened to the processor.. for me it's a mystery.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

"

Thanks for the reply!

For sure i did not touch the bottom of the processor, i always grab it carefully in the corners as in the illustration shows.

There's no cooling paste on the processor either, only on the silver plate (top of processor).

I contacted today my store of purchase and they made a RMA for it.

I'm curious if they can tell me what happened to the processor.. for me it's a mystery."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will always be a mistery.

Your shop will just test the cpu,come to the conclusion its not working, replace it for you,send the old one to their whole saler,who will do the same,

test it, replace it to your reseller, and send the broken one to intel to get a refund.

You will never find out what was wrong with it.

My best gues is that intel knows whats wrong with them since,its not like 1 is dying, so far if read about enough off them to say that there is something wrong with these cpu's.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just had a compleet Dejavu reading your story.

My cpu is from 01-04-2011 and died exactly the same way.

Machine was used 29-04-2012 with out any problems @ all

The next day 30-04-2012 it did not turn on anymore.

The only thing the system would do is give me the Red Cpu led.

Wich acording to the manual means there is something wrong with the cpu.

Reading on the internet to see if there was a fix for this

i read a lot about problems with the Asus P8p67 and this cpu led issue.

Alot of these problems where coused by the mainboard and not the cpu.

So not wanting to beleave the cpu had died on me, i went and got the mainboard exchanged.

Rebuild everything ... stil no go...

After Swapping all the parts with my own machine (2600k and a P8Z68-vpro)

I came to the same conclusion as u did the cpu died on me out off nothing.

Reading bit more on the net i found out that a lot of 2500k's are just kicking the bucket out the blue.

no dmg is to be seen on cpu, heatspreader,socket.

they simply just die!

Same as u stated,

"

The processor worked in combination with an Asus P8P67 pro and the stock cooler that came with the processor.

The processor was never over-heated, overclocked and had enough cooling paste on it.

My question is, as i did not do anything wrong with the processor, has been used always 100% under normal conditions, does the warrenty apply for this processor? "

The warrenty should apply imho, as we did nothing but use it for what it was made.

Where u should go? thats a good question.

I beleve that you should first try your reseller, and if they wont do nothing go to intel.

Tbh i wonder who would be faster intel or the reseller ?

0 Kudos