Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

cannot connect after upgrade PROset Wireless

BRomm
Beginner

Hello,

I have updated PROset Wireless, but can no longer connect or access internet.

I have a Centrino Wireless-N1030 network adapter on a Windows 7 Home Premium machine. First, I tried the Driver Update Utility 2.4, but the update always failed. So, instead, I updated manually PROset/Wireless Software 16.11.0, and that's what the control panel is telling me. That version seems to be right for a Centrino N1030, isn't it? In doing so I lost my old My WiFi Technology software and, therefore, I had to install My WiFI Dashboard 15.06.0000.0226 as well. Right? Now, the adapter is clearly sending its signal. However, firstly, my Samsung S4 doesn't connect at all: "Obtaining IP address ..." and "Failed to obtain IP address" -- so, nothing. Secondly, an Asus laptop does connect, but has "no internet access". From my laptop, however, I do have, and I can write this discussion.

The Driver Update Utility continues to request updating to PROSet Wireless Software and Drivers (15.11.07 Windows*7, 64 bit) for legacy adapters, while 15.11.08 is said to be installed. Quite different from what the control panel tells me.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eino

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Eino,

Were you experiencing any issue with your wireless adapter prior to the update?

Before we go any further, if this wireless adapter is the one installed by factory, we recommend that you contact your computer manufacturer first in order to obtain the latest drivers from them. Once you have done this, please test it and let us know so we can move into the next step if necessary.

0 Kudos
BRomm
Beginner

Aleki,

HP, the vendor of my laptop, had not listed any update for some time. However, a few weeks ago, I realized the original version driver isn't working properly: my phone did connect if I had unshared my network connection, but it timed out acquiring an IP address if I had shared my network connection. There was some time between the last successful and first unsuccessful attempt to link up; so, I couldn't figure out which update introduced the problem. However, I believe, I have installed pretty much every Microsoft update, but I'm less sure about the drivers.

Thanks,

Eino

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Eino,

In this particular case, our first recommendation would be to use HP's original drivers for the wireless adapter, Although it may not be the latest if you compare to the one found in our download center, it is the driver that is right for your adapter and system as HP* customize the adapter and creates their own drivers in order to guarantee that it will work as expected.

As a second option, you can try our latest driver found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23723/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-?product=59481 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7* Driver version: 16.11.0 as you have informed above that you already downloaded. However, we are suggesting a clean uninstall and install it back again. Please follow the procedure below.

1. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

2. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030, Single Band and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

3. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

4. Reboot or scan for hardware changes, then uninstall and delete any older driver versions as you did for the Wireless adapter.

5. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

No connectivity usually occurs because the network did not assigned a network address to the computer.

Based on the information you provided: "Asus laptop does connect, but has "no internet access". it may suggest that the IP is not being renewed. Did you try to renew the IP address? Sometimes it may help resolve the issue. You can use the command on cmd prompt ipconfig/renew so ti will automatically renew your IP.

You can set your computer to obtain an IP address from the https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781008(v=ws.10).aspx DHCP server automatically by going to Start >> Control Panel >> Network Connections, then right-click on Local Area Connection and choose Properties. On General tab, scroll down in the list box till you see Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and highlight it then click on Properties as shown in the illustration below:

Step # 1

Step # 2

Select the one that says " Obtain an IP address automatically."

Once you have done that, try to renew your IP address and if you can connect to the internet or network. make sure you have the firewall and antivirus disabled temporarily to test your connection as this sometimes can impact it.

0 Kudos
BRomm
Beginner

Aleki,

nothing stupid enough: my "hotspot" laptop was set to not allow internet connection through. No wonder, I could connect to it, but not access the internet ... Why I don't know, though.

Oooops, sorry, and thanks.

Eino

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Eino,

We are glad your issue has been resolved.

0 Kudos