Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Broke caps off CPU under IHS

KDeck
Beginner

Hello All,

I unfortunatley broke 2 caps off my CPU when trying to do a delid. They are being used for my mac pro CPU upgrade. The CPU is a X5670. It happens to still work but I was wondeing if anyone could tell me what exactly those two caps are for. Im pretty much expecting the CPU to not work long but if it turns out that it can be used without them that would be great. I figured id give the mac pro cpu upgrade a shot since its not like im voiding any warrenties (2010 Mac Pro and CPU). They are obviously there for a reason but I was wondering for what specefic reason. In the future I plan on not delidding anymore CPUs lol. Any feedback would be apprieciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KDeck
Beginner

ookay so I was to install the CPU in my server and run the Intel processor diagnostic on it. it passed with no issues and the max temp it reached was 57 Celsius during testing. I installed it into the Mac Pro and am running around 30-35 Celsius on idle with ambiet air at 27c. I was wondering what the tMax is on the X5670? I want to watch the temps and make sure it doesn't go above the maximum operating temp.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

The maximum processor temperature is 81.3°C, see specifications here:http://ark.intel.com/products/47920/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5670-12M-Cache-2_93-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI Intel® Xeon® Processor X5670 (12M Cache, 2.93 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI) Specifications

Allan.

0 Kudos
KDeck
Beginner

ah okay i see now. i looked over that page 100 times and didnt see it. Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

No problem. The ark.intel.com is the actual place I look for processor specifications.

Allan.

0 Kudos