Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

intel dual band wireless-ac 8260 driver not found windows 10

JLaza
Beginner

Hi my wifi is working properly but when the windows 10 update sometimes my intel dual band driver is missing, and sometimes its okay. Any thoughts? thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi juzxx,

We understand your situation regarding the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 that sometimes the driver is not found after updating Windows® 10.

In order to better understand your situation, could you please provide the following information:

-Could you please let us know the brand and model of your system?

-Are you using the wireless adapter that came with the system or did you upgrade the adapter?

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility. With the adapter working fine, run the tool and use it to create a report with all sections, on the next screen, Save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options to add the resulting XML file to your post as an attachment.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There is a known issue, documented by Microsoft, wherein the WiFI/Bluetooth support can be screwed up during certain Windows updates/upgrades. After installing any of the Windows updates/upgrades, if your WiFi/Bluetooth is then screwed up, completely uninstall both the WiFi and Bluetooth drivers, disable internet access, reboot and then reinstall the Bluetooth (do first) and WiFi drivers. You can then re-enable internet access.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Obviously, you want to have the latest WiFi and Bluetooth driver packages on your PC before you start this process...

0 Kudos
JLaza
Beginner

Hi sir Scott,

i already update all of my drivers and bios too, still have a issue, sometimes it works, sometimes its not.

I guess is cause of the windows 10 update. last night i try to reformat my laptop and get the old version of windows 10, now irestart 3x and then it all working, also i disable the windows update now .

any thoughts about this approach?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi juzxx,

Please let us know if the clean installation of the operating system worked. If not, you may try the exact procedure suggested by N.Scott.Pearson as this is a little bit different from just updating drivers.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just to reiterate, the differences in the process I am suggesting are:

1. You are disabling internet access (to stop Windows Update from replacing the drivers).
  2. You are completely uninstalling the existing WiFi and Bluetooth drivers.
  3. You are rebooting (to ensure uninstall is fully completed).
  4. You are installing the latest WiFi and Bluetooth driver releases from Intel (downloaded from Intel's site (here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86068/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-8260 Downloads for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260), not from the Windows Update catalog).

Once the drivers are running, you can check the entry for the WiFi device in Windows Device Manager (right-click on Start button and select Device Manager) and ensure that it says that Intel is the driver provider. If you then re-enable internet access and you see the driver get replaced with one that says Microsoft is the driver provider, you will know that Redmond is responsible.

...Scott

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi juzxx,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. We would like to know if there is something else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
JLaza
Beginner

-Could you please let us know the brand and model of your system?

- lenovo y700

-Are you using the wireless adapter that came with the system or did you upgrade the adapter?

- after the windows 10 update the issue came up.

0 Kudos