Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Intel S2600CP Motherboard 1-5-4-2 then 1-5-4-4

WP2
Beginner

Hello Members,

I have a motherboard Intel S2600CP running inside a Coller Master Chasis for 2.5 years and it was replaced. Now I have a new replacement board, 1 Xeon CPU and 32 Gigs of Ram. The PSU has been Changed to Antec HCG-850W.

Here is the problem;

1. I installed Windows 10 on this and it worked fine for 2 days; After a sudden power cycle; it will boot up and then reboot automatically couple of times and then the beeps would be 1-5-4-2.

2. This continued couple of times. Clearing the CMOS and waiting for the 2 green light to glow; did the trick I was able to boot up; I read that from a thread linked below.

3. I updated BIOS to S2600CP_EFI_BIOS02060006_ME020107328_BMC0128r10603_FRUSDR111 and there was one successful boot to OS after this

4. There was a software BSOD after this; and now it does not POST even after clearing the CMOS. The error code now is 1-5-4-4 and the light stays at amber

Any suggestion where the issue lies?

Please see some similar threads;

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/s2600cp-board-need-a-cmos-flash-for-every-boot-where-the-psu-lost-power-on-purpose.9781/ S2600CP board - Need a CMOS flash for every boot, where the PSU lost power (on purpose) | ServeTheHome and ServeThe.Biz

Thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, cpuandboard,

Thank you for using Intel® community support.

In regard to your no posting issue. The error code that you are getting is related to power supply problems.

You mention the PSU is new as well the chassis.

My suggestion is the following, do a test with the board outside of the chassis, using the processor, 1 piece of memory and the PSU.

Let see if it is possible to get into the BIOS.

I am attaching the meaning of the POST error codes.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006001/server-products.html POST Errorhttps://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006001/server-products.html Beep Codes for Intel® Server Boards and Intel® Server Systems

I will be waiting for the results of your troubleshooting.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
WP2
Beginner

Hello Mike,

Thank you for writing back. I believe i am very close to resolving this issue lets revisit this;

1. It started off with a New Motherboard Intel S2600CP (which was replaced), Antec HCG 850W PSU and 32 GB Ram; Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz, 2101 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s) and 32 GB of Ram

2. BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. SE5C600.86B.02.06.0006.032420170950, 24-03-2017

3. My CPU FAN is always running at its full speed from DAY 1

3. First time install went fine; and suddenly I started seeing random reboots. It will do a 1-5-4-2 after a sudden reboot (which looks normal - If I just unplug the AC it does the same)

4. However when i rebooted after such a sudden boot; All I had to do is wait till the Blue LED goes away and the System Status LED is green; OR Clear the CMOS. If I reboot before the blue LED has stopped blinking it wont boot (which looks fine.. doing some sort of initialization it looks like)

5. I also updated the BIOS and every other thing to the latest except FRUSDR which I will do after my post is complete.

Fast Forwarded....

6. I got 2 BSOD back to back because HyperV role was installed with Hypervisor disabled from bios which pushed by board in a complete no boot state. I will no longer get 1-5-4-2 but 1-5-4-4

i> power ON system

ii> The blue led will blink then turn off then system LED will turn Amber

iii>> 1-5-4-4 will be heard

7. If i clear the BIOS at this point; move jumper; remove ac cord; move jumper back. The moment i give ac power this would happen

i> System powers on momentarily without with SMPS fan moving for a second on connecting AC without even pressing ON SWITCH

ii> The blue led will blink then turn off then system LED will turn Amber

iii>> 1-5-4-4 will be heard

8. The only way i could get around it is if i leave the system off for almost 12+ hours. I removed it from the case put it on anti-static plastic; connected the CPU\RAM and that is it. Still Same issue; this time it unexpectedly rebooted when i TURNED ON HYPERVISOR FROM BIOS and hit F10 it threw a 1-5-4-4

9. The above looks like some sort of shell the BMC is getting inside as described in this manual; or an issue with the ground?

10. Here is what I did that got around this; as i believed this has something to do with the automatic power on even without pressing the power button.

i> Boot up the server

ii> No POST HAPPENS but 1-5-4-4

iii> Move the BIOS jumper to clear mode

iv> Turn the system OFF; here the LED's take some time to completely switch itself OFF

v> Move the jumper quickly back to normal position before the LED completely shuts off

vi> After doing this when i restored power; it did not automatically turn on and then off; it waited till I got a chance to press the power sw

11. I also removed the front panel connectors; if there was a Sort grounding issue there. Now i was able to boot up normally; however while booted up i would see the green led turned blinking Amber and SELviewer showed this

//CONCLUSION

It looks like the 12 Volt line 0xd0 is losing voltage which caused the reboots? And after some consecutive such reboots BMC did not let me re-fire up?

Question; this is a NEW PSU; the motherboard was replaced due to this EXACT REASON BEFORE and this is a new MOTHERBOARD with new PSU. Why would this still happen? Is the firmware reading something wrong? Looks very similar to this thread here https://intel-openport-v8.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/118063 SC2600CO random reboot |Intel Communities

p.s. It just rebooted again now Lets see what selviewer log is here uploaded...Can you help me to see what is going on here? I am going to update the FRUSDR now which is still at 1.8 and post back observations.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnETzY08WytogpB3Pde8rfnbh8xG2A Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

0 Kudos
WP2
Beginner

Okay this voltage thingy is still happening even after updating the FRUSDR.....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, cpuandboard,

In regard to the no post issue with the Intel® Server Board S2600CP2. I apologize for the inconvenience.

-The Blue led will always blink at every turn on, the BMC always scan the system and review if all the hardware is detected and operational.

-Now, if we enable Intel® Virtualization Technology; any time the setup options are changed to either enabled or disabled, an AC power cycle must be done for the changes to take effect.

This option allows a platform to run multiple operating systems and applications in independent partitions.

-Remove or replace BIOS jumper when the system is completely off and without the power cord plugged.

-The chassis intrusion pin needs to be pushed down, otherwise, the fans will work at full speed.

As you mention, it could be a grounding issue or BIOS firmware issue. I suggest you test your system outside of the chassis.

-Test your system with only 1 piece of memory DDR3 1333 or 1600MHz.

-Clear CMOS, remove the battery and wait 30 minutes at least.

-Replace battery

-Remove the BIOS Recovery jumper. Please review item "BA" on page 8 of the Intel® Server Board S2600CP2 technical product specification.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s2600cp/sb/g26942005_s2600cp_p4000cp_tps_rev19.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s2600cp/sb/g26942005_s2600cp_p4000cp_tps_rev19.pdf

-Download and install the newest version of the BIOS firmware on the root of a USB drive

-Plug the USB drive into the board and turn the system on, the board will perform the update automatically.

Intel® Server Board S2600CP Firmware Update Package for EFI

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26957/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=56333 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26957/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=56333

I will be waiting for the outcome.

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
WP2
Beginner

1. Chasis outside system; 1 RAM connected, 1 Processor Connected, 1 HDD IN SATA0 connected

2. I was able to re-run all the updates without moving the pin to recovery option as I am getting POST; is moving the pin to recovery and then updating recommended?

3. The fan slows down after I ran the FRUSDR package; Chasis intrusion jumper is not present on the board but I think there is a extra jumper beside BA for it to be used if necessary?

4. The system still randomly reboots; while at BIOS screen ; windows startup etc. Sometime windows crashes with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and System LED changes to Solid Amber from Blinking Amber and we hear 1-5-4-2

5. The system Led starts off with gren but then flashes amber every second (no other fans connected is that why?)

6. Someone is killing the 12V rail? Or motherboard incorrectly reading the voltage? I am using ANTEC HCG850W PSU which is brand new..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, cpuandboard,

Post issues with the Intel® Server Board S2600CP2.

In regard, to your last post, the answers are below.

2-I suggested the BIOS recovery in case the system is not capable to boot.

3-Chassis Intrusion is optional, it works when the board is inside a chassis with the device.

4, 5 and 6- The system is telling us the power supply is not giving the right voltage to your system.

-Send me your system configuration, including cpu model, the part number of the memory, BIOS settings and any other external device connected.

-Additionally, send me the results of System Information Retrieval Utility (SysInfo) version 14.0 Build 19. Hopefully, the logs will give us a better idea of what the problem is.

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, cpuandboard,

Post issues with the Intel® Server Board S2600CP2

You can find the System Information Retrieval Utility (SysInfo) version 14.0 Build 19 at

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26991/System-Information-Retrieval-Utility-SysInfo-

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, cpuandboard,

Post issues with the Intel® Server Board S2600CP2

I am wondering if you still need our support.

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
WP2
Beginner

Hello Mike,

1. So These 1-5-4-2 were random no matter what I tried; different RAM, BIOS update etc.

2. The moment I swapped the PSU to a Cooler Master 700 W one which is a old PSU everything is working as expected

3. I am surprised that a new Antec HCG-850 will have these trouble; or this can be some tolerance issue?

4. I have some temperature warnings with RAM though an I will post on that tomorrow to get some clarity. The amber light still flashes every second though which I believe is because no system fan is connected.

I have a couple of other questions;

1. My CPU is Single Proc Xeon 2620 v2

1. I am planning to put Sapphire Raedeon Vega 56 GPU on this box and a NVMe

2. Will they operate at x16 speed or x8 PCIE speed?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello cpuandboard,

It is hard to tell what could be causing the issue with the Antec power supply. Intel always recommends using validated components to avoid unforeseen issues.

It is possible that the blinking amber light is indicating that the system fan is not connected. Additionally, the PCIE slots that we have on this board are x8.

You can always check for validated hardware at the following location:

https://serverconfigurator.intel.com Server Configurator

Best regards,

David A.

0 Kudos