Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

Monitor goes Black

DWick1
Beginner

Using

Intel HD Graphics (No number shown in Adapter properties)

Windows 10

Television as monitor

Problems

When I switch the television input from computer to satellite and back....

1) windows on screen are (sometimes) relocated. Very irritating, but I can live with this. (Seems to be related to windows that are partially off screen are relocated to be fully on screen.)

2) no input detected at all, monitor remains black but keyboard & mouse functional (I can make it "bing"!). Only "fix" is to unplug my computer.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is the complete model number of your processor?

Doc

0 Kudos
DWick1
Beginner

N3700

Note also, it hasn't & doesn't always do this.

Problem # 1 (the relocation bit) started with new system (and windows 10) and I can mostly avoid it by ensuring all my windows are onscreen.

Problem # 2 (black out) didn't happen initially, but started a while ago (2 years?) magically went away, and just recently started again. I haven't made any changes to my system....at least, I haven't. Auto updates can't be avoided.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Peabianjay,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support. I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are having issues with an Intel® Pentium® N3700 processor and a television that goes black.

To better assist you with your request, please let me know what type of connection you are using, and if you are using splitters, docks, or any kind of adapters. I will also need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:
  1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.
  2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
  3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).
  4. Attach the file to this thread so I can take a look.
To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
DWick1
Beginner

Cheers,

The black screen hasn't been happening recently (seems to come & go).

The windows being relocated problem is ongoing.

Thanks!

P.S. There's no "Use Advanced Editor" option visible, but there is "Attach" in the bottom right.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Peabianjay,

Thank you for the information. Please let me know as well if you are using splitters, docks, or any kind of adapters.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Peabianjay,

Let me know as well that type of connection that you are using.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
DWick1
Beginner

HDMI connection.

No other adapters, etc.

Note also, I don't have any of these problems with Windows 7, VGA out (15 pin), Radeon HD 6530D Graphics (same monitor/TV). The new system was supposed to be an improvement. Heh.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Peabianjay,

Thank you for the information. I understand that this should not be the expected behavior in a new system.

However, what I can recommend you to try, instead of using the latest version of the driver for the Intel® HD Graphics controller, you may use the driver provided by the computer manufacturer to see if you get the same results.

Intel® supplies generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided.

You can download the driver for the Intel® HD Graphics controller in this computer from the ACER® website: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_Intel_20.19.15.4352_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=636132456174126572&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20XC-704G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Please try with this driver and let us know if the issue still happens with it.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Peabianjay,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further assistance. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
DWick1
Beginner

Heya,

I've given up, for now. I'll try installing Linux, buying a new graphics card, and/or buy a new monitor.

Since I don't know what the problem is, I figure I just need to replace things until it starts working. (Windows 10 has been a problem for many reasons, so that'll be the first thing to replace.)

Thanks for trying to sort me out, anyway.

Edit: I found a thread discussing Windows 7 (although I have windows 10) monitor "auto detection". It sounds like this may be related, but since there's no solution (but a lot of frustration) on that thread seems that the problem is Windows, and not so much Intel. Considering Microsoft doesn't seem to respond to individual consumer requests/problems, maybe they'll respond to Intel? (Microsoft's usual response is, "No, you don't want that. We know what you want, and are giving it to you.")

Edit 2: *sigh* After several more hours of hunting for a solution, I've managed to make it worse. Now, when I "Restart" the computer, my computer seems to continue running, but the monitor goes black and reports "No signal". Unplugging my system seems to be the only way to reboot it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Peabianjay,

I am sorry to see about all the issues that are happening right now in your system. It might be possible that you can do a system recovery to go back to a point when your system was working properly.

For official instructions on how to do it, please follow the next link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel®. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
DWick1
Beginner

"It might be possible that you can do a system recovery to go back to...."

No. It hasn't worked since I bought it. This is why I'm not sure if it's Window 10, Intel HD Graphics or HDMI, all of which came with the new system. The previous system (Windows 7/Radeon/VGA) worked fine.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Peabianjay,

As additional troubleshooting and to check your hardware, please try in other HDMI® ports, with another HDMI® cable, and with another display to see if the issue is replicated.

You can also launch the operating in safe mode to see if you get display this way. For instructions on how to start the computer in safe mode, please follow the next link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
DWick1
Beginner

*sigh* Looks like this is unfixable. I spent a bunch of $$ getting new cables and a new monitor.....and, it STILL doesn't work.

I wrote an app to track the location of windows. Seems that when the monitor input is changed, Windows 10 moves stuff around and does NOT put things back where they were.

The black-screen problem I can't recreate "on demand", so I haven't been able to test anything.

Remember the good old days when computers did what YOU told them to do, and ONLY what you told them to do?

0 Kudos
DWick1
Beginner

This still isn't working.

I've tried:

- Purchasing a new monitor (Insignia)....didn't help.

- Purchasing a new HDMI cable.....didn't help.

- Installing Linux. THIS WORKS FINE.

- Installed/ran Intel Driver & Support Assistant. Reports NO update available and doesn't let me reinstall existing one.

- Searching forums for answers. Seems like a common problem!

- Searching my computer for options. (The lack of any "help" in Windows makes this rather hard.)

- Tried various resolutions, power settings, and such.

Problem ONE seems (not entirely sure yet) to be better: by changing "Maintain Aspect Ratio" (Graphics Options -- Panel Fit ) to "Center Image" seems to have stopped the resolution from randomly changing & re positioning windows.

Problem TWO "Black Screen", still happens....but "ONLY" requires unplugging the HDMI cable, instead of powering down my computer. (It also gives me a "No Input Detected" screen saver, instead of entirely black...presumably a result of getting the new monitor.)

So....if my system WORKS in Linux, but NOT in Windows, seems clear the problem is software, NOT hardware.

I'm still not entirely sure it it's Windows 10 or Intel's driver....nor how to fix it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Peabianjay,

I am so sorry to see that the issue persists even after all this troubleshooting.

At this point, we will need to replicate the issue in our labs to be able to find a solution for you.

Per procedure to replicate the issue, please follow the next link to find a table. Reply to this post and add that table answering all the requested information.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Peabianjay,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further assistance. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back with the information requested above.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
DWick1
Beginner

I've given up.

My "solution" is to not do what I wanna do....namely, using 1 monitor and switching inputs. Instead, I use two monitors, and just leave the computer & one monitor always on. It still crashes when Windows updates, but the rest of the time it's tolerable.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Peabianjay,

I am sorry to see that you do not want to continue with the troubleshooting. Still, if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate in contacting us.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos