Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Huge Problem with Windows 10 and Intel HD Graphics 5500 in Dell XPS 13 (2015)

MFuti
Novice

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 13 (2015) and recently updated to Windows 10. Since then, I have experienced extremelly annoying problems with the display, especially when coming back from sleep or when turning on the display after moments of inactivity. The screen keeps flickering and blacking for the first 5-10 minutes after recovering from sleep mode, which is extremelly annoying. I have seen in other forums that this also happens to other computers from different brands (such as Lenovo).

I have talked to Dell Support, and they have told me it is a problem of the display driver from Intel. I tried uninstalling the driver and, to my surprise, the problem was solved, proving that the latest Intel display driver is problematic (I downloaded and installed the latest one, as of date 25th August 2015, and the problem still remains).

This is a horrible and very frustrating problem. I would like to know how to contact Intel experts to, at least, learn whether they are working on solving this huge problem, or not. Some advice or similar experiences from other members of the community would be helpful too.

Thanks,

26 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I understand Intel engineering team is currently working on new graphics drivers for Windows 10. I still do not have an estimate but they will be posted at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx Intel® Download Center

Please review information on post # 93:

Allan.

egher
Novice

Hello,

any news on this ?

It is really frustrating and makes the computer un-usable.

Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Windows 10 graphics drivers will posted on the download center site as they become available.

Allan.

0 Kudos
MFuti
Novice

It is good to know that more people is having the same issue.

I think the more people we are complaining about this, the faster they should fix it...

0 Kudos
egher
Novice

Hello Allan,

is it possible to have an ETA, or a possible workaround ?

Me, and I am sure lots of other users, have this chip installed on business laptops, so this bug is directly impacting our work.

From my point of view is business-critical, and I am pretty near in getting a new laptop with an AMD chipset to avoid all these issues which are ridiculous in 2015 for an Intel CPU launched few months ago.

I hope you can understand me, and how frustrating this can be in our daily work, and I hope to get some workaround for this.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I do not have an official word yet. Once they become available I am sure Intel will post them at: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center

Allan.

0 Kudos
egher
Novice

Hello,

this issue still remains with the latest drivers released on Sept 2015.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue AND 'does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?' If you can offer a % rate please do.

Screen starts flickering if the laptop power state changes (e.g. unplugged) or after the laptop is waken up from Suspension.

The only workarounds are:

1. reboot PC

2. manually restard video driver with the following command: devcon.exe restart "PCI\CC_0300"

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell XPS 13 9343

Hybrid or switchable graphics system? ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in) 

LFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

<p align="center" style="font-weight: inherit; fon...
0 Kudos
AKole3
Beginner

Hi,

i have same laptop and exactly same problems after upgrade to Windows 10.

I must say that it is very annoying. Also i did install latest drivers ( 15.40.7.4279) and problem is still there.

And it only happens when waking from standby.

Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information, let me re-test the latest graphics driver and I will update this thread.

Allan.

egher
Novice

Any updates on this Allan?

Were you able to reproduce and, perhaps, find an easier workaround?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I re-tested the driver 4279 and I still did not get screen flickering. You may need to check with your computer manufacturer for customized graphics drivers since you have been testing our generic versions.

Allan.

0 Kudos
egher
Novice

It's an Intel driver problem :if I use Windows default drivers no flickering, moreover no flickering on Windows 8.1.

0 Kudos
SFarh
Beginner

Hi guys, I finally found a resolution to this issue today!

It seems that a new version for this driver is released today/yesterday which is not available in Intel website yet. Go to the Windows Device Manager and click check for updates to Intel Graphics 5500 driver. Windows will update and install the new version (20.19.15.4300), which seems to have fixed the display flickering issue; I have not encountered this issue since updating to this new version. Please let me know whether this works for you or not.

Best regards

egher
Novice

Hello farsa1992 , how it is going with the new driver ? Did you ever had again the issue ?

SFarh
Beginner

ghepa So far everything is going well and I have not faced that display flickering issue since using the new version.

0 Kudos
MFuti
Novice

Hi,

I also updated to this new driver, and so far I haven't had the issue anymore. Seems solved, although I will wait for a week or so if it's completely fixed!

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

It seems to be fixed with latest video drivers. Please let us know any feedback.

Allan.

0 Kudos
HHans5
Novice

Hi Allan,

I have an Intel NUC5i3RYH running Win 8.1 x64 and I have had the black screen problem since I own the NUC and with all driver versions including the latest 4300. The display is a LG 29UM55 connected via HDMI (mini to normal cable without adapters). The black screen problem is clearly reproducible with graphics high load, e.g. in Google Street View. If I use Street view for a while, the screen becomes black for a second or two and this repeats every 1-2 minutes. Continuing using street view (in latest Firefox version) causes the screen to be black more and more often until it remains black and never returns to normal view. If I then press the Win key on my keyboard to open the Win 8.1 Start menu, the screen returns to normal view but if I press the Win key again (to show desktop again), I see the Firefox window (with street view still running) for a second and then it turns to black and remains black. I have to close Firefox (Alt+F4) in order to get the normal view of my desktop.

This is clearly a graphics/video driver issue and it is blameful for Intel that you guys have not been able to fix this issue for months.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Let me check the latest Firefox version and graphics driver 4300. I'll update this thread as soon as possible.

Allan.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have been playing with Google street view for a while and I did not get any issues. I have been using the latest graphics driver 4300 and latest FireFox browser.

Allan.

0 Kudos