Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14538 Discussions

QPI link on Xeon E5 1630 v3 processor

SKlei1
Beginner

Hello,

in my company we are performing finite elements analyses which require powerfull calculation capabilites. We have several computers of very different prices, and we compared the efficiency of our different configurations to determine the "optimal" configuration, especially the processor. In particular we have two recent computers: one is equipped with a Xeon E5 1630 v3 at 3.70 GHz, and the other is equipped with a i7 4790 at 3.60 GHz. When we run a bench calculation, which is rather complex with many non linearities, we notice than it runs twice faster on the i7 than on the Xeon E5. This is very surprising, as Xeon processors are normally designed for workstations, and i family processors for home use. After many investigations, I think the cause of the Xeon being slower, is that there is no QPI link on the Xeon E5 1630. So my first question is: do you think I am right ? second question: is it possible to activate QPI on this processor ? and third question: if not, why ? because when I bought this processor, I thought all Xeons were equipped with QPI by default.

Thank you for you help.

Regards,

Sébastien

0 Kudos
10 Replies
SKlei1
Beginner

Hello again,

could someone from Intel just tell me if the Xeon E5 1630 v3 has QPI or not ? Thanks in advance.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

The processor model E5-1630 v3 provides Intel® QuickPath Interconnect, see the documentation below on pages 15 and 23.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-e5-v3-datasheet-vol-1.html Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 v3 Family Datasheet, Vol. 1

Intel® QPI Current-mode 9.6 GT/s, 8.0 GT/s, and 6.4 GT/s, forwarded-clock Intel QuickPath Interconnect signaling

Allan.

SKlei1
Beginner

Thank you Allan for your answer. But then how do you explain that this processor is less efficient than the i7 4790, or even the i5 3470 on my calculations ?

If you look here: http://ark.intel.com/fr/products/82764/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1630-v3-10M-Cache-3_70-GHz ARK | Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1630 v3 (10M Cache, 3.70 GHz) it is mentioned 0 Gb/s for QPI.

This is a Dell computer. Do you think I should revert to them to claim about my concern ?

0 Kudos
SKlei1
Beginner

In addition, CPU-Z does not detect any QPI speed either on this proc.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have been doing further research on this issue. I just received information from our processor engineering department.

The E5-1600 Xeon series do not have Intel(R) QPI.

I apologized for my previous comment.

Allan.

0 Kudos
SKlei1
Beginner

Hello Allan,

thank you for your answer. This is a bit strange, isn't it ? I do not understand why QPI is not a default, and if there is no QPI, why is there nothing else, like DMA for instance ?

Regards,

Sebastien

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sebastien_NCI,

In regards your question, I have escalated your question with our processor engineers. The technical product specifications are not clear.

I would find which type of system bus has the Intel® Xeon™ E5-1630 v3

In regards to system performance, it is necessary to verify the rest of the hardware that you are using on both machines. It is necessary to check RAM quantity and type, type of hard disk drives, type of graphics cards and motherboard models.

Intel(R) QPI is a hardware and software improvement. It is not possible to enable the feature.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

According to p.16-17 of http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-e5-v3-datasheet-vol-2.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-e5-v3-datasheet-vol-2.html , the CPU lacks external QPI inks, because is oriented to 1-socket only solutions. The real thing to take into account is number of IMC/HA blocks of CPU. Can`t find right now the specs for 1630 v3 specially, but there is a note in datasheet that some 1600 series implements only one IMC/HA, so they do not benefit from internal ring topology in case of RAM access.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I would keep you posted as soon as I receive an answer from the engineer department.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sebastien_NCI,

The Intel® Xeon™ E5-1630 v3 has DMI2 technology.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos