Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

On-board Intel Graphics 2000 with Windows 7 x64 loses its resolution.

idata
Employee

Dell Optiplex 390 with an on-board Intel graphics 2000 adapter was recently rebuilt with Windows 7 x64. All Microsoft patches and updates have been applied. I initially used the Dell Video driver from support.dell.com. (9.17.10.3040). This system is connected via a VGA analog connection to a Dell P190S monitor. The recommended resolution for this device is 1280x1024.

All went well until you reboot the system a couple of times. I eventually lose the video resolution and it resets to 1366x768. Resolution is grayed out and the display shows Display device on VGA. All icons are oblong including the Dell splash screen logo when the system boots.

So I downloaded the latest video drivers from the Intel site (9.17.10.4229) and get the same results. Video settings are correct until you reboot. The same events occur with 9.17.10.4101.

I removed the Intel install from program and features and the display adapter from device manager and rerun the Intel install. It doesn't matter which version as it will resolve the issue until you reboot, maybe the next time, certainly within 3 or 4 times.

System BIOS has been flashed to the latest version (A11).

Dxdiag shows no problems

I would appreciate any feedback in resolving this annoying behavior.

Regards.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello n4J6VEvu,

I would suggest you to test another monitor on this computer. You may also want to try a different cable and also check if there is a new BIOS version that you can try to install.

Please try some recommendation that you can see here:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/screen-resolution-changes-windows http://www.thewindowsclub.com/screen-resolution-changes-windows

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your reply. My issue is not resolved however I can work around it by removing the Intel drivers and use a video compatible controller windows driver and change the resolution to 1280x1024. These changes are retained and have been for 2 weeks.

This issue occurs after a flashing the BIOS to the latest release with another VGA monitor and cable with a clean install of Windows 7 with all the latest drivers installed.

There is no screen saver enabled. BaseVideo is not enabled in the system configuration utility.

I should be able to use the Intel drivers but I'm not interested in running the Intel install every time the video settings change.

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the information and for taking your time to sharing it with us.

I understand that you flashed the BIOS to the latest release and it is when that started to happen. Have you checked or contacted your system manufacturer for other updates and support?

They might be able to help you with some updates to solve your problem unless you want to keep your system with the workaround you have done.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos