Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Realsense SR300 running on NUC6i7kyk (skull canyon)

idata
Employee

Hello Friends,

Does somebody working with the Realsense SR300 over skull canyon NUC ?

We are experiencing SR300 Camera drops\disconnecting randomly (Can be after 4 minutes of after 2-3 weeks).

Any advice????

Thanks in advance , Oren.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Oreny,

Thank you for contacting us, let us try to help you.

Since when is this issue happening? I would like to know if this is happening since you bought the board.

Also, are you using the USB cable that came with the camera? Or something like a USB hub to connect the camera?

Regards,

-Pablo
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Pablo,

I have 2 cameras connected directly to 2 different USB 3.0 ports : SR300 Realsense & C920 logitech.

No external HUB of Extra Cables.

We are testing on 2 Skull Canyon NUCs ... same problem.

We believe the internal USB HUB is not stable (power drops)... on one NUC we updated to the last Bios / Chipset / Windows updates----> No Change.

Thanks , Oren.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oren,

Thank you for your reply. Everything seems to be alright with your connection and your hardware. Have you noticed if the issue occurs when using a specific feature of the camera?

I would like to take a look at your SDK logs, Could you use the sdk_info.exe to record the logs using an SDK sample?

To get them, follow these steps.

After you install the SDK, go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\RSSDK\bin\x64\", run SDK_Info.exe as an Administrator, navigate to the Logging Tab and Click "Enable All Logs" button. Wait for the issue to appear while running an app (make sure not to close sdk_info, it can be minimized, closing sdk_info will stop the logging). After the failure has occurred return to SDK_Info and click "Copy all Logs" button (in sdk_info logging tab), zip the created directory and attach it to your next reply.

Regards,

-Pablo
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I will do so and send you a feedback afterward.

But , it can take a while.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oren,

Don't worry about that, we'll be waiting for your results.

Regards,

-Pablo
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oren,

Do you have updates on this case? Have you been able to work on this?

Regards,

-Pablo
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Pablo,

We are testing 2 new NUCs units this week.

I will send some data in few days.

Thanks , Oren.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oren,

I would like to know if you already have some updates regarding this case. Did you test with the two NUCs?

Regards,

Pablo
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Hi Oren,

In the past, RealSense users who have had issues with drop-outs gained stability if they plugged their camera into a mains-powered USB hub (known as an Active hub). Hubs that plug into the PC to draw power from it (known as Passive hubs) can be ineffective. Mains-powered hubs tend to give the camera enough juice for all of its needs though.

Typically, the symptoms of the USB port not providing enough power were that the camera worked fine for low-demand applications. But when the user tried to run applications involving depth sensing, the camera would drop out because the depth function draws a greater amount of power for the laser. Those past power problems were generally associated with the F200 camera, the SR300's older predecessor. It is conceivable though that the SR300, its next-generation replacement, could be even more power-demanding.

Another possible cause of camera drop-outs back then was that from Windows 8.1 onwards, Microsoft introduced a power-saving feature for USB ports where it would drop down the amount of power provided to the port if it detected a lack of activity from devices attached to the port. Back then, I remember that Windows would not recognize input from the F200 camera as activity. So you could be waving your hands like crazy in front of the camera and it would still go into power-save after a few minutes if you hadn't used the mouse or keyboard during that time to let Windows know that you were awake. The USB power-saving can be disabled in the power-saving plans in the Windows control panel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Marty & Pablo,

Sorry for the late feedback.

But , we have been running 2 Sets (SR300 Realsense + NUC6i7KYK) for 2 weeks without any problem yet.

Regarding Marty reply... we agree that the problem is due to internal USB HUB power failure and maybe connected to sync problems of USB devices to internal clock.

Important to note that it only occur at NUC6i7KYK. Because we are running the same configuration : Windows 10 pro + SR300 + Realsense version on other NUCs and OPSs versions without any problem for almost a 6 months.

It's looks strange that the hardware of the NUC6i7KYK is making us troubles !?!?

Now , we are waiting to "catch" the problem and to monitor as Pablo suggested.

I will update soon.

Thanks in advance , Oren.

/message/442273# 442273
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oren,

Thank you very much for the update.

We've been noticing that some users have had success using an external powered hub rather than the PC's ports, some USB3 ports on PCs are not delivering enough power to the camera and an external powered hub is needed. Even if we don't suggest this as a first option, you might want to give it a try.

We'll be waiting for your updates.

Regards,

-Pablo
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Pablo,

We tried external powered USB HUB without success.

We believe the problem is not due power drops , but due to power interference in the internal USB HUB...

...Maybe the internal USB HUB on the NUC6i7KYK is not isolated ?!

Thanks, Oren.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Oren, this forum post may be relevant to your concerns.

Also, this.

https://www.thurrott.com/hardware/67135/byopc-expanding-intel-nuc-troubleshooting-usb-problem https://www.thurrott.com/hardware/67135/byopc-expanding-intel-nuc-troubleshooting-usb-problem

The model used in that article is the NUC6i5SYH, which the author says is identical in spec to your NUC6i7kyk except for having a taller case.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Marty,

Not exactly...Our problem is randomly..

We notice that the frequently increase when there are interference in the AC power grid.. that is why we think the problem is due to power isolation problem in the internal USB HUB and\or those kind of interference damage the internal sync of the USB devices to the internal clock of the CPU.

Thanks, Oren.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oren,

Do you have any updates on this case? Do you have any news to share about the problem with the NUC?

Regards,

-Pablo
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Pablo,

1. The 2 Sets that we are testing... still working without any problem.

2. We have another same set at customer site (running since Dec 2016) ... this problem appearing only after the NUC restarting due to power drops.

To solve the problem we restart the NUC again and the problem disappear.

Thanks, Oren.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oren,

Thank you for update. I'm happy to know that both sets you are now testing are working normally. I hope the other set is not causing many problems with its current power drop issue.

Regards,

-Pablo
0 Kudos