Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

Halo 2 texture flickering

TThom21
Beginner

I recently got a GPD Win handheld with a Atom X7 Z8700 and I'm trying to play Halo 2 on it.

Halo 1 works perfectly fine, but on Halo 2 I'm getting flickering textures or z-fighting like on this video:

I'm running driver version 20.19.15.4501 but I also tried 20.19.15.4539 Beta, same result.

It's just the flickering textures that I have, otherwise the game runs fine, no framerate issues etc..

Any ideas how to fix this?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello nex86,

Does the issue happen when you play the game? The video shows the intro of the game, so I want to check if the issue happens when you actually play the game.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
TThom21
Beginner

Yes it does, its not everywhere, but some parts of the maps have flickering/overlapping textures, like floors and walls.

I don't have this problem with nvidia cards.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have you tried with the graphics drivers provided by your computer manufacturer?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
TThom21
Beginner

Yes, same issue and with that driver I'm having frequent driver crashes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for that information.

Please let me review your case, I will keep you posted..

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I edited the title removing the reference to the platform since this is also reproduced on 6th Gen [SKL].

Engg Case# is 1405609824

To be frank, this is a very old game, priority is very low. It will take considerable time just to get through the queues. As such, unless we can determine if the root cause affects latest games/apps as well this may not get resolved. We'll report updates as investigation progresses.

.:Bryce:.
0 Kudos
SChio1
Novice

I also just got a newer GPD Win with the Atom Z8750 and HD 405 but it does not have this issue. However, I posted in another thread but it was closed and moved to here that I have this same issue on my Skull Canyon NUC with Core i7 6770HQ and Iris Pro 580. Has there been any resolution to this yet? Cause as I mentioned in the other thread, I also have an older Intel NUC with Core i5 and HD Graphics 5000. At first, it also had these same issues with the flickering textures, but eventually that issue was fixed in a driver update for the HD Graphics 5000. So could the fix for these newer HD Graphics and Iris Pro Graphics be similar to the fix for the HD 5000?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Generalkidd,

I'm afraid to inform that the fix for Halo 2 texture flickering is only implemented on 15.46 branch, and available only for Skylake, Kaby Lake and Apollo Lake platforms. Other platforms will not include a fix for matter.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos